Monday, May 21, 2007

A little pig latin and a little slang

5.21.07

Ymay eachertay oldtay usway ethay otherway ayday aboutway away olewhay othernay ormfay ofway anguagelay atthay ashay orkedway itsway ayway intoway ethay Enchfray anguagelay, alledcay erlangvay. Otay emay, itway oundssay away itbay ikelay Igpay Atinlay. Ouyay aketay ethay irstfay yllablesay ofway away ordway, andway utpay itway atway ethay endway.

Translation from the Pig Latin: My teacher told us the other day about a whole nother form of language that has worked its way into the French language, called 'verlang.' To me, it sounds a bit like Pig Latin. You take the first syllable of a word, and put it at the end. And it's not SLANG! They have slang too...and it's not acceptable to use slang around certain people. But it's okay to use the verlang...

bizare = zarbi
femme = meuf
metro = trome
grave = vegra
taxi = xita

The list went on an on, and I laid my head down on the table and just started laughing. So first, I have to learn the real vocabulary word. Then, I have to learn how to invert it? Then I have to know which is slang and which is verlang and who I can use which around who?

For those of you who speak French: je ne kiffe pas cette langue, je pense que c'est fou a donf.
For those of you who don't speak French (the closest I can translate verlang to in English): I don't dig this language, I think it's whack to the max.

4 comments:

Booker said...

I was halfway thru the piglatin before I realized you included a translation. [The Blonde Bandito strikes again, sigh]

I took one year of French in 8th grade. I've never looked back with regret at stopping at that one year :-)

Aaron said...

I translated the whooooooole Pig Latin paragraph before I realized you had done it for me. Oh well. Verlang sounds quite interesting, but I'm glad it's not used in English. (I wonder what my mom would think if I called her "thermo"...)

The whole thing is rendered even more interesting to me because I'm plodding through (and enjoying) Les Miserables, and I'm currently reading a largish section on "Argot" - French slang (at least, as I gather from context, the slang of French criminals and beggars)! What a coincidence!

TripleNine said...

I just read/watched your last three posts. Glad your computer is back up and running again, though I have to agree with dj that your patience is astounding.

As for learning the non-slang slang, what's one more language to someone who already knows how ever many it is you know.

Anonymous said...

New post soon? I miss Soj!