I'm sorry I haven't been blogging much lately. I've been super busy, and haven't had much to blog about. So here's a super non-interesting update on life in Paris these days.
1. OH.MY.WORD. is it ever cold! It's only November! The past few mornings, Sue-Wee and I have been out and about around 9am, and it's been in the low 30's (or colder), and all I can keep thinking is, "If it's THIS cold now, what will December, January, and February be like?" Brrr... I do not own the appropriate shoes for weather like this!
2. There is a strike going on. I've heard there are strikes in America too, that are making your evening television and trips to Broadway shows such a boring hassle. Our strikes--no way to get anywhere except drive (and I don't own a car), and since everyone's driving, it takes 4 times as long to get anywhere. French strikes also mean: the kids don't go to school. First, because their teachers can't get there, and second, because starting next week, the teachers are on strike too. This weekend is day 5 and 6 of the transportation strike, and starting next week, teachers, the post office, and the gas and electric companies join in. What will France look like when the electric company is on strike? I hope they don't pick on me.
3. This week is Thanksgiving in America. But since it's an American holiday and not a French one, Thursday is supposed to be a normal day. So a whole bunch of us Americans are getting together on Sunday (tomorrow) to celebrate Thanksgiving. Sure, there will be turkey and pumpkin pie. But, um...is it really Thanksgiving if it's not on a Thursday and there's no football?
4. After living in this country for nearly 11 months, Sue-Wee and I finally went to IKEA and bought things to decorate our apartment. M#1 of the MMTAT's came over and drilled holes in our walls for us to hang stuff. We got our leaky sink fixed. I think...we've moved in and feel settled. We have yet to put out a welcome mat, though.
5. Some things that currently frustrate me about living here: the noise of the sirens all the live long day; constantly being bruised from being bumped by so many people moving about on the metro and streets; not being able to speak French as well as I would like; not being able to find a good pair of brown pants like I want; and not having a good church (yet) to settle into.
7. Some things I've realized recently that show I've been gone from the US for a long time: American cars look HUGE to me; I'm no longer accustomed to the American sense of TIME (things take longer to do here and that's okay with me); Americans want ice in their soda, and that means a full glass of ice, not just two cubes; I currently have trouble coming up with things to ask for when people ask me what I want from the states (my mother is laughing at that statement, cause I can always ask her for things); when I speak English, I forget to speak only English and not insert the French words that everyone uses here (like 'marche' for 'market' and 'gare' for 'station'); I love creme fraiche (sort of like sour cream but yummier) and don't ever want to part with it; I sleep with a duvet cover and not a top sheet and I love it that way.
8. I love, love, love my life and job here. I am quite content and happy. No, I don't plan on living in Paris forever...but it sure is good for right now.
1 comment:
It snowed here today. Sigh. Winter begins its relentless grind. I hunker down, body and mind shutting down, like a flower bulb waiting for spring...
Post a Comment