I bought a few presents at the brocante as well...so some of you need to be checking your mail boxes soon. :)
Sunday, April 05, 2009
Brocante
When I went to Chambery last month, Classy Spice and I ate at a restaurant where I noticed a sign that I really liked. It was painted wood, in rustic colors, and had a scene from the Alps on it. I mentioned to her that I liked it, but wouldn't want one exactly like it, because I don't like skiers (which was what the scene was). The next day, we stumbled upon a brocante, which is a yard/antique sale. When French people clean out their houses to get rid of their junk, the "junk" happens to be antiques! Someone in a book called a brocante a "magpie collection of bits and pieces of domestic history rescued from attics all over Provence." (Peter Mayle, "A Year in Provence, " pg. 93). Anyway, as we walked through the brocante, I found my dream sign. Same painted wood style, same rustic colors, a scene from the Alps, and a bonus: the rock-climbers are two-dimensional! I've had it sitting across from my bed ever since, and can't stop staring at it.
We walked a little further through the brocante, and found an old, leather-bound book with a cross on the front. The pages were gold-tipped, and there were beautiful drawings inside. A sign said, "Bible, 5 euros." I couldn't believe my eyes! I bought it, and found it dated from somewhere between 1887 and 1907...but it turns out it isn't a Bible, but a prayer book. It's still beautiful to me.
Today, here in Marseille, there was another brocante. It was HUGE! My friends and I strolled through it for hours and hours. We found several more prayer books like the one I'd bought in Chambery, and a French copy of Thomas A.Kempis' "Imitation of Christ" from the late 1800's. All of my friends that I was with had not been to a brocante before, so it was fun to watch them discover their own personal treasures. Then, under a tree, I saw this cute little table. When I asked the man how much it was, I expected to hear between 30 and 50 euros. When he said, "5 euros," I responded, "SOLD!" My friend JellyBean looked at me as I picked up the table and said, "WHAT are you going to do with that!?" I told her, "Take it home. I'll be back in a minute!" And sure enough, I went home with my table, and then carried on searching through the treasures at the brocante. I did not find my dream Singer sewing machine...which I will find one of these days and happily purchase.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I would SO love to go Brocante shopping with you! What good finds!
Love the treasures you found! Especially the table. It's so pretty. And great descriptions... I felt like I was walking right alongside and enjoying it all with you!
That table, and that prayer book, and that picture are incredible. Somebody must love you.
Oh, and I love the new template.
Post a Comment