Monday, March 07, 2011

Cancelled trains = Paper Shuffle

I'm a little bit disappointed. About a month ago, I bought train tickets that I knew would spawn a blog post. I just knew they would...because they were overnight sleeper train tickets. And even if nothing happened on the French overnight sleeper train, I could write a flashback blog post about the 36 hour sleeper train in India.

The cockroach infested 36 hour sleeper train in India.

But then, the Real McCoys had to change their flight schedule to Marseille, and so I needed to change my train schedule...and thus, no overnight sleeper train.

I saw this French proverb today and realized that I still a blog post--just not one about a cockroach infest sleeper train in India.

Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire compliqué?
– une proverbe française

"Why do simple when one can do complicated?" Now if that doesn't sum up French life, I don't know what does!

When I bought my train tickets, I knew there was a high possibility of the Real McCoys having some trouble on their end, due to where they are and what's going on there right now, so I bought cancellation insurance on the tickets. The only reason I was going down to Marseille was to see them...so if they weren't going to make it, I might as well stay in Bes and sleep in during the spring break!

Once they had their problems resolved and their new dates in Marseille, I cancelled my train ticket, got a ride down with a friend, and bought a new one way ticket to return back to Bes. But in order to be reimbursed for the tickets, I had to contact the insurance company, not the train station. I filled out the online form (well, Super Joy filled it out for me), and then I waited to find out what would happen. I got an email, which Mrs. Wise read for me.

Turns out I have to go through about as much paperwork as it takes to get a visa to France in order to get my money back from my cancelled tickets. I mean, why make it simple when we can make it complicated, right?

No comments: