When I found out a few months ago that I would spending the summer in Paris, I'll admit I had mixed feelings. I was ready to move out of the Wise's house and settle into my own home...in Marseille. Learning that I would be leaving the Wise's earlier than planned was good news, as was getting to spend a whole two months around the Superheroes in Paris. But...two more months in yet another place, still living out of a suitcase, away from Marseille, and...uggish sigh...Paris? At the time, not so good news.When I left her in November 2008, I left her feeling burnt out on her. She rains alot. She's always crowded with too many people. (The city population is somewhere between 11-14 million, and add the 42 million tourists who come through each year, and well, that's alot of people.) She's bustling, pushy, stressed (or as the French say, "tiring" or "fatigant"). I had a headache for the entire two years I lived here because there was never, ever, at any time, quiet.
I would say that I have a love-hate relationship with Paris. I mean, it's Paris. Beautiful streets, buildings, bridges, parks, and the Seine. Everything is beautiful in Paris, everything. The museums are amazing, the food is amazing, the music is amazing, and there is always, always, always something fun to go do. She really can be enchanting, if you're in the right mood.
And so I decided this summer that I would focus on the love side of my love-hate relationship with Paris. I would allow her to get back in my good graces, and would not, under any circumstances, (including terrible weather that stole my summer away), leave for Marseille more frustrated with Paris than I was back in November 2008. That is why I systematically set out to have such a good time this summer, even if meant not getting much sleep. When I had a free moment from work, I'd go do something fun that I hadn't done before.
While out at the cinema at the park, Tusc told me of a movie I ought to go see, and exactly which theatre I ought to see it in. He said, "If you like Paris, you'll love this movie, and if you love Paris, this'll become one of your favorite movies ever." So I went to see Midnight in Paris at the Epée de Bois cinema on Rue Mouffetard. He was completely right.
One of the things I've always said about Paris is that I wonder what it was like during La Belle Epoque or during the Roaring 20's, or even during the Occupation. I wonder what it was like at its peak. I wonder what it was like without the extra 11 million people and the 42 million tourists. I suppose that Woody Allen wondered the same thing, because he made a movie about a guy who, just like me, would love to have seen it back then. The movie was more about who was in Paris at those times than what Paris looked like at those times, but I still enjoyed it.
Even more, I enjoyed what the main character discovered at the end. We tend to always want something we can't have. He wanted to know Paris in the 20's. The girl he met in Paris in the 20's wanted to know Paris in La Belle Epoque. He wanted that girl. His financée wanted another guy. He realized that we should want what we have. And so he stayed in Paris during his own time and enjoyed it...in the rain.
There are people who lament about wanting to enjoy my life in France because it seems prettier than their own, wherever they may be. I often lament about wanting to enjoy theirs...married with children. Who knew that Woody Allen could speak some truth into my life (and maybe someone else's who reads my blog, longing to be where I am instead of where they are) by reminding me to love where I am, even if it's in the rain?
And so I leave Paris for Marseille...content. Paris has returned to my good graces, and I love her once again. I don't look out at the rain and sigh that uggish sigh. I look forward to when I'll get to return to her again and be charmed by beauty that has wooed so many through the centuries. But for now, it's time to return to my beloved sunshine city of the south, Marseille.
And to finally, after 27 months, unpack my suitcases.
1 comment:
Loved this post! I saw that movie with my sister a little over a month ago and really enjoyed it. Who knew Woody Allen could make such a great movie? While I was watching it I was sitting there longing to go back to France. The end of the movie really spoke to me too about being content with where I'm at in life and appreciating everything around me. I'm happy that you can leave Paris on a good note again and have so much to look forward to in Marseille!
Post a Comment