Sunday, May 25, 2014

Villefranche-de-Conflent

A few weeks ago, I posted about my trip to Loumarin, the 11th prettiest village I'd been to from the official list.  Without even planning it, on the way back from Andorra, we stopped at my #12: Villefranche-de-Conflent (and passed three others on the way to Perpignan!).  I do so love the prettiest villages!  It is a walled fortress town, with fortifications by Vaubaun, the architect who built the Citadel in Besançon, and was recently named a UNESCO World Heritage site.  Love when I just get to stumble upon those!

Obligatory door photo.








I think The Flash lives in this building.  Although...he probably wouldn't give away his residence so obviously...



I love this imperfect photo.  Sunshine makes me happy.




The sun left us, but who doesn't love a grey, dreary fortress?!  It made it seem as it should be.




I heard water, and went through an arch to find a bridge over this lovely little river:

And saw the train tracks where the Little Yellow Train would pass by.  I kept hoping to see it, but to no avail.  One day.  That's what bucket lists are for.










thecamelridingcowgirl felt very tall next to this door.  :)





Seeing a portcullis like this one always makes me think of the Princess Bride:






I don't think I'll stay in that hotel there.  It looks straight up Bates Motelish.


It was an awesome little town!  We found a pottery shop where we each bought something.  I bought a skinny single flower vase.  And some presents for the Real McCoy kiddos to be sent back to North Africa with Gulliver.  She thoroughly enjoyed her jaunt in a prettiest French village.  We headed back to Perpignan for the evening before the drive back to Marseille the next day.  Not too shabby of a Saturday, if you ask me!

1 comment:

notpoems said...

so amazing....I can see why it made the list. My favorite picture is the one with the red and yellow striped flag hanging by the door!