Monday, July 14, 2014

Bastille Day 2014 from Pharo Park

Last year, I watched the Bastille Day fireworks from the Vieux Port, directly across from Notre Dame de la Garde (the big church on the hill).  Because I'd seen that view...and knew the crowd that I'd have to sit among waiting for the show, I decided to go up to my new favorite place in the city: the Pharo Park.  My friend and I went, had a picnic dinner on the lawn (grass!!!) while we waited for the summer interns to arrive after their day's work.



While it was crowded up there on the lawn as well, it didn't feel as crowded as the Vieux Port.  Maybe because nobody was pushing against one another?  We each had our own little space of grass and it was great.

They lit up the palace with the colors of the French flag.  (You know how Americans say "red, white, and blue" for our flag?  The French call theirs the "blue, white, and red".  Just a free little tidbit for you to win Jeopardy one day...)

The show was great, as always.  The one bummer was that we couldn't actually see the part of the firework show that was lower, down at the Vieux Port, but the rest that shot up high...was amazingly right above our heads.



Seriously...the Pharo Park is my new happy place.  I'm kind of embarrassed that I never went there until this summer.  But I went multiple times, and each time was oh so sweet.  I love that there is grass.  I love that I can see the city and the sea.  I love how the sunlight turns the city into the golden yellow of Provence.  I love that there are benches where I can sit and talk to a friend for hours or just lose track of time in a book.  Favorite.

Maybe next year, for my last Bastille Day in Marseille for awhile, I'll watch the fireworks from Notre Dame de la Garde...

1 comment:

notpoems said...

seriously, Pharo Park is gorgeous. I wish I had known about it all those summers I spent in Marseille...