Monday, June 15, 2015

Top 10 Marseille Moments

I've been in Marseille a total of five years.  That's a long, long time for me.  As Giggles and Munchkin were preparing to leave Marseille this past week, I asked them what their favorite moments from their time here was...and then the question got turned back on me, who'd obviously been here longer.  When thinking just pure Marseille--not anything to do with friends--here are my top memories that made me love the city.  I've provided links to the old posts for those of you who want some summer reading...haha!

10.  All the entertainment from my living room window.  On Facebook, I have a whole album of photos for all the times I've thrown my window open, leaned out and taken a photo.  It'd be difficult for me to do here, but one particular time comes to mind.  Click HERE to read about the time the Algerians nearly set my building on fire they were so excited they'd won a futbol game.

9.  All the various attempts at "art," which really are just weirdness on display.  Again, impossible to post all the photos.  In fact, they're so many, and so sporadic that I don't think I even have one blog post dedicated to them all.  Might have to remedy that...

8.  Really good dumpster dives, if you're willing to carry it home.  I've scored a few doors, and a small table.  One man's trash, another (wo)man's treasure!

7.  The Electrodash going through the mall.  Might have been one of the funniest parties Marseille has ever put on.  Click HERE for the story.

6.  All the Bastille Days.  Confession: I chose to sleep through the fireworks on Bastille Day 2008 and 2009 because I had to work early the next days, and in 2012, the show was out at the beach due to the construction on the Vieux Port so I stayed home and read a lovely book.  However, 2013 at the Vieux Port and 2014 at Pharo Park were just awesome and some of my most favorite memories in Marseille.

5.  The times the Tour de France came through.  24 hours of city crazy for 57 seconds of fast bikes whooshing by.  Click HERE for post.

4.  The time there were bunny stickers everywhere.  Click HERE for full story of the bunny invasion.

3.  The time they set the Vieux Port on fire on purpose.  Seriously.  Click HERE for post.

2.  The time they herded thousands of sheep through the streets.  So awesome.  Click HERE.

1.  The day it snowed.  Nothing will ever top this day in my mind when it comes to Marseille.  It only happens ever 30 years or so, and I got to be here for it.  A foot (at least) of snow, all in about six hours.  I wandered the entire city taking photos, and still have this one framed on my wall.  Click HERE for the post.

Runner up: The Mistral.  I do love those crazy winds, even though they've tried to kill me a few times.

Stay tuned for more memories to come over the next few weeks.

1 comment:

notpoems said...

so awesome! I love the fact that I've read about and remember all of these. :-)