Monday, December 20, 2004

How long will the honeymoon last?

"As the waters cover the sea, so the whole earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord."

This verse tumbled through my mind this morning as I rode on a boat to the other side (Asia). It was my first time to venture across continents by myself (hehe, when will I get used to that?), and I delighted in the time alone on the quiet boat staring out at the water and the city on a hill behind it. It seemed as if I'd lived here forever, so natural was it to me to walk up to the dock, press my akbil into the machine (a card-holder machine, if you will), and board the boat. Somewhere between buying lamps yesterday and riding a boat alone today, a change of mind occurred.

I've been in transition for so long that this just seemed another quick trip, as if I'd be packing the suitcase again soon enough. When would I feel settled? When would I feel my roots digging down? When would I enter the honeymoon phase I've heard of for newcomers, instead of seeing everything through eyes and heart of one who does not belong to this place?

On a boat on the Bosphorus two weeks after landing, I suddenly awakened to understand. This is home now. Boats, trolleys, trains, the metro, taxis, cars and buses are my mode of transport. Walking five miles a day and up four flights of stairs is normal. I pump my water, eat sandwiches on the street for lunch, smell of second hand smoke regularly, and use a hot water bottle to warm my bed at night. This is my life and this is my home.

All because of a boat ride by myself.

No comments: