Turkey is the only country on the planet that lies on two continents. I was a bit disappointed when I first learned that I would be living on the European side--I'd been so excited to move to Asia! After being here a week, I finally arrived to the Asian side yesterday. It is so fun to listen to people's conversations; almost always a discussion of "which side?" is involved. "This side" or "the other side" is the appropriate answer. Never, "Europe" or "Asia" or some other response. Just "this side" or "that side."
"This side" (the European) looks so much different than the other side, something I'd not quite expected! This side looks much like what I'd expected Istanbul to be like: old, close-knit, mosques, and busy. The other side, however, looks much more modern, spread out (two lane widths of roads!), and a bit slower in pace, much more residential. There were parking spaces and less people and a huge shopping mall. I'm glad I live on this side, where the things seem a bit on the chaotic side.
I returned to the Bazaar yesterday to see a friend, but his shop was closed for Friday prayers, which I hadn't even thought of. Live and learn. The rest of the Bazaar was open. I delighted in the sounds, smells and sights. One of the shop keepers yelled out, "I am here! Can I help you? My English is very bad!" Usually I ignore their comments of "hello, angel. You like Turkish delight?" etc, but this one I couldn't help but bursting into a giggle over. I liked it even better than the "hello? Come have tea and we will have conversation of romance." The best part of the Bazaar yesterday though, was despite not having learned my numbers yet, I'd picked up on ten and eight. So I was thrilled when my roommate asked how much a chess set was, and when the man said "eighteen" I caught it! Yes! Never such excitement over 18 since I'd turned it so many years ago!
Well, the first week has come and gone. Real life has begun now that the grace period of jetlag and being new is over. It will be interesting to see how this adventure shapes out in the weeks to come. Stay tuned...
Saturday, December 11, 2004
Which side? The Other Side
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment