1.29.07
Banana, Sue-Wee and I arrived at the chateau just minutes after the guided tour had begun. Banana, who speaks French, thought we could catch up and listen in to what the man was saying. Says she, "How will we know things about the chateau--like what that porcupine is for?" as she points to a large golden carving of a porcupine above the doorway. Says I, "Because with a guide, you don't get to make up your own legend of the porcupine."
King Louis X14, who eventually ordered for this chateau to be built, was renowned for his world travels. He and his wife, Marguerite XX72, had spent extensive time in China, where they learned about the astrological calendar, as well of the horrors that vex any child born in the year of the pig.
To their utter disappoint, Marguerite discovered she was with child--a child to be born in the upcoming year, the year of the pig. Louis and Marguerite fretted and wrung their hands for many a fortnight on how to solve this dilemma writ in the stars of their firstborn. They knew not want to do.
On the night of the child's birth, as was tradition, a deer was to be killed and the meat feasted on in celebration. King Louis had spotted his deer, and was about to shoot the arrow, when an attack owl descended upon him, nearly taking his life! Out of nowhere, a porcupine sauntered up to the king and owl and stuck the enemy bird with his quills, thus saving the king.
King Louis then inaugurated the year to be the year of the porcupine, and had the emblem placed all throughout his chateau.
Who needs a tour guide when you've got me along for the ride?
2 comments:
Loved it! :O)
LOL! I love French antiques, and I own several pieces of Blois pottery. I have a little tray with the porcupine on it, and another with the ermine (I'm sure you saw that symbol there too). If anyone ever asks what the porcupine stands for, I'll have to tell them your version! :-) I've learned a bit about the chateau over the years, because I was interested in the history of the first piece of pottery I purchased. Was it amazing? I've seen pictures and know there's a very beautiful staircase on the outside. Wow, I would love to see it in person. I can't wait to read more. :-)
Post a Comment