Sunday, February 25, 2007

Cheddar

2.25.07

There is a cute little shop near my language school called Bagels and Brownies. In English! They serve yummy yummy bagel sandwhiches and yummy yummy big fat brownies. I went with a friend the other day, and was shocked to see cheddar cheese as one of the options for a sandwhich.

With the myriad of types of cheeses here, cheddar is the one kind nowhere to be found. Sadness.

So I asked the lady where she bought her cheddar. She responded, "You can buy some from me."

"For how much?" She pulled out her accounting books and looked up how much she paid for it.

"39 Euros for one kilo." That's approximately $50 for almost 2.5 pounds of cheese, folks.

I don't miss cheddar that much...yet.

4 comments:

Booker said...

I don't think I would EVER miss cheddar that much. But since it is readily, cheapily available, how can I truly know? I hope I am never put in that position :-)

Claire said...

Ooh la la indeed! How odd to have everything BUT cheddar.

Stan says hello!

Aaron said...

I don't think I would ever miss ANY cheese that much! And I like cheese, too... :)

Anonymous said...

that's a rip off. go to monoprix (there are 2 in my old neighborhood) and buy some. it's about 4-5 kilos for a wedge, but worth it.