Saturday, August 18, 2007

Castles Redeemed

Saturday, August 18

After the disasterous day at Versailles last weekend, I felt that I had to give Jules and France a chance to reconcile their differences as far as castles went. (She had a fab time in Paris, and in Normandy--post to come--the famous castle being the only bad experience here.) I had already planned on taking her to the "candle castle," which made me nervous, because I'd never been. What if it turned out like Versailles? What if her last night in France was just terrible because castles were meant for the centuries past? While walking through the Metro a few days before our scheduled trip to the candle castle, I saw an advertisement hanging about it. It convinced me to check out the website, which convinced me to give castles a second chance.

Here's what
the website said. "On August 17th 1661, in order to celebrate the end of the construction of his beautiful castle, Nicolas Fouquet gave, in the honor and presence of the King Louis XIV, one of the most prestigious party of the seventeenth century." This is the castle where "the Man in the Iron Mask" was filmed (and where it's story comes from). It's supposedly the castle that inspired King Louis XIV (the Sun King) to build Versailles--he wanted to outdo the beauty of this chateau.

So every August 17th, they recreate the party that Nicolas Fouquet threw...people dress up in 17th century costumes, they light the entire house and gardens by candlelight (as it would have been that night way back when), there is a parade of the royal court and the Sun King, a Moliere play, and fireworks. Jules and I dressed up pretty and went to the royal gala.

There are no words for how amazing this night was! I thought back through all my experiences in Europe, and think I can say--nothing else compares. I almost cried when it was time to leave. Jules shot a short video of the presentation of the royal court (in which you can hear the music that was playing all over the grounds), and took a few pictures. They don't do justice.



Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting

This is the back of the house, from the gardens. I could have strolled around there all day long.

The castle, called the Chateau of Vaux le Vicomte, has a moat! With big fish in it! I've never seen a moat before!

The next picture is of Louis XIV, the Sun King, entering. It was really neat. The music changed, everyone started clapping...very cool!

There was a reflection pool 400 meters away from the castle...it was so neat! All the gardens are between this pool and the castle, and yet it reflects the building. Wow. Can I be a princess, please?

2 comments:

Booker said...

Nice! That garden pix was wicked cool...

Claire said...

FAAAABULOUS! I really enjoyed this post! I think someday I'm going to throw gorgeous parties like that in my heavenly mansion...You're invited!

And yes- you may continue to use the word "amazing." I give you permission. :) And I agree with your point about the word "so." It's a bad habit in writing AND in speaking...I had an English teacher in highschool who was quite crazily adamant about not using that word.