Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Why can't tourists take touristy photographs?

August 21

There is a mystery in life that I just cannot comprehend. Tourists, who like to have their picture taken with famous things behind them, seem unable to take such photos themselves. Why is this? In the past week, I've had Notre Dame disappear from behind me, the Eiffel Tower chopped in half, and now... the story of the feet picture.

My friend Bria is here and I thus took her straight away to meet Eloise (ie, the Eiffel Tower). We were up in the area across from it that is known for being the spot for a perfect picture with Eloise behind you. Bria and I see a nice elderly lady and I ask her in French if she would mind taking our photo. I even made photo snapping hand motions.

The elderly lady responded, "llsdka;sdifupoibnadsfoi." I took that to mean, "I don't speak French." But for all I know, she could have said, "Stupid tourist...why must you take the cheesy typical photo with a big piece of brown metal behind you to prove that you've been here?" Or she could have said, "I understood you, but I'm SO tired of taking photos for tourists and I just want to enjoy myself--I am not YOUR personal photographer, and thus I am pretending to not understand you."

I pressed on in my annoying tourist self so that Bria could have the obligatory photo op. I continued making photo hand motions. The lady nodded that she understood (or yielded), and said, "a;lsdkfjalsidjufpaosid9uf." When I handed her Bria's camera, she prepared herself to take the photo that very instant, without even looking at the Eiffel Tower. I made a motion that we wanted the tower to be in the photo.

She stood in front of us, we smiled big. Bria resisted the urge to say, "FROMAGE." The lady clicked and moved the camera the minute that she'd clicked the button. We realized that she was not exactly camera savvy, and to just let it go. Here is the result of her picture. I said "Danke schon," to which the lady smiled very big. Either she was a sweet old lady who was so happy I'd guessed her language (and then butchered it with my terrible pronunciation), or she was a mean old lady who purposely took a picture of feet with no view whatsoever of the Eiffel Tower behind us. I'll choose to believe she was a nice old lady who can't shoot pictures to save her life. I am so thoroughly amused by this photograph. I'm still laughing right now.

Bria and I tried on our own...and here's what we came up with.

5 comments:

Claire said...

Ha haaa! What a charmingly funny tale - and great accompanying pictures! I'm so glad it worked out for Bria to meet you! And for you to meet her! Isn't she just a fantabulous duck?! Okay- too many exclamation points...

Booker said...

Hahahaha! I just came over from Bria's post, and this post just completely cracked me up!

probably because of your choice to believe in the greatness of the human spirit ;-) hehehehee.

Booker said...

ps, you should do a recording of yourself singing "Adieu, to you and you and you"...

TripleNine said...

Ditto to the above comments about the greatness of you two meeting :) the second picture certainly turned out nicely, worth more than whatever trouble it was to get it.

brilynne said...

I, personally, want you to do the Harlem Mona Lisa recording. Oh, and I'm excited to be a fantabulous duck!

Thanks for introducing me to Eloise.