Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Pyramids!!!

September 9, 2008

KO hired a driver for us to take us to the pyramids, through Garbage City, and to the Coptic cave churches. We knew it would be a full day, but man oh man was I excited about it! There just seems to be something about the pyramids (and the Great Wall of China and the Taj Mahal) that makes you feel like a REAL world traveler. I was ready to see the only remaining ancient world wonder.

I did go to the pyramids, however, with low expectations. I figured that they probably would look just like what they look like in the photos: a bunch of big rocks piled into the shape of a pyramid. And guess what? That's what they look like. I thought that they probably wouldn't be all that awe-inspiring to me, but a simple must-see. And, if they WERE awe-inspiring, with my low expectations, I had nowhere to go but up when I did see them.

Our driver gave us a fascinating history of various buildings and places in Cairo as we drove through on our way to the pyramids. I listened to alot of it, but didn't absorb very much. I think I was just enthralled with the city. We stopped on the way there at a bridge over the Nile, so we could see the spot where Moses was found in his basket as a baby.
We arrived to the pyramids, where our driver dropped us off at a look-out spot far away from the actual pyramids. It was there that the jumping madness took place. And the four of us discussed how funny camels are. And we pretended to walk like an Egyptian... Mr. Driver then took us back down to the pyramids, where he dropped us off and told us he'd wait for us at the Pizza Hut. At the Pizza Hut? Believe or not, I knew what he was talking about--I'd seen pictures of the Pizza Hut that is across from the pyramids. Globalization is a little crazy sometimes! The picture is taken from inside the Pizza Hut, looking out at the pyramids.
Walking around the actual pyramids and taking them in...It was fun. I'm glad I went. It's definitely something to do/see in one's lifetime, if you're gonna be a true sojourner. The rocks are big. The rocks are old. I didn't know that there are over 100 pyramids in Egypt. I didn't know how cool the Sphinx looks up close. I couldn't get good photos for all the tourists.
That's really about all I have to tell about the pyramids. Impressive, huh? :)
Click HERE for more photos.

No comments: