Reverse Culture Shock--or re-entry--is another story. I get it every time I come back to the states. I've been determined this time around to not let it hit me too hard. I spent the whole summer with Americans, and tried to used that time to prepare myself to be around them all the time. I decided to laugh instead of grumble at the things that would rub me the wrong way. To not gawk at the things that seem bizarre. To not judge--others or myself.
I don't know how well I've done. I do know that I've said, "That's RIDICULOUS!" a million times in the last two weeks as I've seen things that have amazed me (whether good or bad). I have learned from experiences in the past what to avoid so that I don't end up holed up in the bedroom in tears because being in the US makes my head spin.
So...most of the next few posts may be about things that seem common place to you, but they were big deals to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment