I sure could've used that when I got lost driving to Louisville back in September. Or when I was trying to navigate my way around NYC in October. And since I will be driving all over the whole month of December, I thought it would be good to buy one to avoid any more Louisville-like incidents. (And then give it to my parents slightly-used for Christmas. Hehe.)
Last week, I needed to be in a small north Georgia town for a speaking engagement. Usually, I would have driven from Huntsville, through Chattanooga, and over to the small town. However, I was told that I couldn't go through Chattanooga because of a rock that had fallen on the highway. (Click the link to see the video of what is actually a rockslide that blocked the highway. WOW.) I don't like driving on interstates anyway (although I love driving through Chattanooga), so I told the friendly little GPS (that Dad named Betty) to take me through back roads.
Oh my. What a beautiful, enjoyable drive I had! I was in "mountains" most of the way. (I say "mountains" because, well...they're just not that high! The Rockies are mountains. The Alps are mountains. The Himalayas are mountains.) There was no one out on these roads. Some of the leaves still had their fall foliage. There was fog, rain, and awesome clouds the whole day. I went up, down, around, and back again, and just thoroughly enjoyed myself.
I stayed in a log cabin home up in the Chattahoochee National Forest. I saw a deer. I listened to rain hitting the roof as I slept. It was so wonderful. Betty took me from there, over another "mountain," through some cute little towns (look up Helen, GA on your Google images), and down to see my photographer friends, the Cipollas. The next day, Betty guided me even further south to Dublin, GA: land of the Irish (and some friends with some similar interests). While in Dublin, I met one of the original Munchkins from the Wizard of Oz! It was neat to sit and talk with him, and hear stories from the production of the film. He showed me all kinds of Oz stuff that he has collected through the years. Pretty cool.
Today, Betty will take me even further south to Tifton, GA. We'll see what awaits me...
Oh Georgia...
1 comment:
If I traveled a lot, I would definitely get a gps unit.
but since I don't travel, nor like to, it seems kind of unjustifiable for me :-)
Post a Comment