Today, after learning all the vocab for various fruits, we revisited vegetables to review. I looked down at the list and realized that while cauliflower (broo.kloo) was there, broccoli was not.
"How do you say 'broccoli'?" I asked.
"Broo.kloo." Teacher responded, and she pointed to the word listed for cauliflower.
"Is this broo.kloo white or green?"
"Well, the part you eat is white, but it has leaves, you know, and they're green. But you just eat the white part."
Okay, thinks me, broo.kloo is definitely cauliflower, even though is sounds like it could be a distorted word for broccoli. I explain that in the USA and in France there is a vegetable that looks like cauliflower but is green and tastes much better. (I'm sure the latter part of that sentence is a matter of opinion, but honestly, who really thinks cauliflower tastes better than broccoli? I certainly don't.)
Teacher shakes her head and says that here, there is just broo.kloo. And it's white.
What a crazy place. I've learned the words for turnip and radish and cauliflower (stuff I never eat)...but not broccoli. As I walked home baffled that there isn't broccoli here, I realized that she didn't give me the word for mushrooms--which I know they have here, because I've bought them. Crazy.
4 comments:
I would just like to put in my 2 cents, that while I do not like cauliflower better than broccoli...I also do not like broccoli better than cauliflower. I find them to be two very tasty veggies that are best served together! This may be my most boring comment ever. But I love you!
And in my second boring comment of the day: Mushrooms are not truly vegetables. Since they are not plants (they're fungi), they cannot be truly categorized as a veggie. Maybe you'll learn the word for mushrooms on fungus day...
I really kind of hope that we don't have a fungus day in language class...
Both are equal, in TOTAL grossness :-)
I wish America didn't have broccoli. I could definitely live with that...
Post a Comment