Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Culture Shock #472

Dear Mr. Taxi Driver--

I recognize that we come from different cultures, and this means so much in how life plays out for us. It means that we value different things. It means we act differently. It means that we might clash over one thing because we're looking at it from two different angles, you and me. And it means that I might come off as obnoxious when I refuse to budge over this one thing because your culture is shocking me just a little bit.

So when I get in your taxi, and you have the Quran playing on the radio, that's fine. You see, the way that I don't let that bother me is putting on my ipod and listening to my music. You can hear your Quran, and I can't. I can hear my music and you can't. To me, in my culture, this makes for a nice compromise where we both get what we want.

It bothers me, however, when you, seeing that I put on my headphones that clearly communicate that I don't want to listen to your Quran, turn up the radio louder. That's going to make me grumpy.

Now add to this, Mr. Taxi Driver, that you don't smell pleasant and you drive in a manner that makes me fear for my life and pray that God will protect me the entire ride. Because of these two things, I feel that it is necessary to roll the window down a little bit for some fresh air. Otherwise, I might just HURL all over the back seat of your car. And while that might make me feel better, I don't think you would be pleased. I understand that you don't value showers as much as I do, and that you think fresh air will make you sick. I understand that you didn't learn to drive in the same way I did and that you think a half inch of space between you and the next car is acceptable and that you just don't value space the way that I do. But you see, I do value showers and fresh air and personal space.

So when you reach into the back seat (so not okay) and wave your hand at me to roll the window up, we've got a problem.

I'm paying money to you. In my culture, that means, if I want to listen to my music and not your Quran, and I want to crack the window for fresh air so as not to smell you and get car sick from your poor driving, that's my right as a paying customer. I understand that I'm not in my culture and therefore my rights don't exist. But you know what?

I'm not going to roll up the window. And I'm not going to listen to your Quran.

And really, I think you should be glad that I maintained my culture shock by simply refusing to budge on those two things and writing this letter. The other option would be to kind of lose it on you, verbally and um, vomitally, and that would not have been pleasant.

Thank you for giving me a ride home, for not getting in an accident, for not yelling at me when I refused to close the window, and for reminding me that culture shock comes up in the small experiences like this one with you. I kindly request that you please understand that I tried my best today...but it really was culture shock lesson #472.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautifully phrased.

crc