Friday, September 30, 2011

International Faire

I'd seen signs advertising the "Marseille Fair" around town for weeks, but I didn't know that it was an international fair. I mean, they did call it the "Marseille Fair," so I thought it was a fair about...Marseille. I still intended to go, but I probably would have been more excited had I known it was an international fair. Because anyone who's read this blog even once or known me for about more than two minutes knows that I love me some international exhibits!!!

I think I love them because it seems like a shadow of what is to come in heaven, when peoples from all nations will be together, each unique in their own language and cultural expression, but joined as one in praise to the King. I imagine that when we're There, we'll be able to go from one culture to the next, learning, tasting, experiencing all the creativity that God put into people when He created each people group. And thus...I love these fairs, where I can meet people from Senegal, and Iran, and Armenia, and Tahiti, and Algeria. Taste their food. See their clothes. Hear their music. Touch their handiworks. All the while knowing, that one glorious Day, it'll taste even better. Look even prettier. Sound even more fascinating. Be even more interesting. And all in praise to the King.

So...I went to Italy first. (Wouldn't you?!) There were mounds and mounds of sun-dried tomatoes, and the biggest olives I've ever seen in my life! (And I've lived in several olive-growing countries!) I bought a little more than a half-pound of the sun-dried tomatoes, and I am so stinking excited to cook up something that would make Rachel Ray proud with them!
In the not-so-tasty category...we walked by this smoked pig...and yes, the man is cutting (and serving) from the pig's rear-end. We didn't taste any samples there!
I did buy some white truffle creme sauce in Italy as well. (White truffles as in the insanely expensive mushroom, not the little chocolates). Truffles are so expensive here in France that I've never even gotten to taste one, and this woman gave me a free sample of her sauce. I went week in the knees that stuff was so good! She also had a truffle basalmic vinegar that made my eyes roll back in my head, but I couldn't afford it. For those of you who don't like mushrooms, have no fear! I also bought the chocolate kind of a truffle. :) In Canada, I bought some maple cookies. In Switzerland, I bought some really good Comté cheese. (Why did I have to go to Switzerland to get a French cheese?)

There was one section that was like being in an infomercial exhibition. Every gadget you've ever seen on TV for sale at 3 in the morning was being demonstrated! Cleaning gadgets, cooking gadgets, massaging gadgets, hair removal gadgets. It was good French listening practice, and quite entertaining...but people overload. We had to exit there very quickly.

We headed over to the furniture area...and oh my. Let's just say that the French and I have very different taste in furniture.
Mob boss's wife?

After much laughter in that area, we headed over to Algeria, where we made some friends. Then on Armenia, where we watched some dancing to live music. And then, finally, headed home...as we had no money left and our introvert selves were maxed out. Below is a photo of my purchases.
It was a grrrrrrreat afternoon/evening. So if you ever come visit me in Marseille, come in September, so I can take you to the Fair.

2 comments:

notpoems said...

...isn't ham from the pig's posterior?

bettercountry said...

If it is, I don't want to know. I certainly don't want to visualize it.