I'm not complaining by any means. I'm just saying that it's all blending together and becoming normal.
So when Creedance asked what I wanted to do, I sort of gave her a "meh, whatever," attitude. I said that I liked musuems/churches/castles/famous people's birthplaces if they were cool. If I could be a nerd and learn something while there. And since my definition of cool could be considered relative, I'm sure she was in a pinch.
Enter Museum of the Jewellery Quarter. (No, I didn't misspell that. The Brits follow the French and add in extra letters unnecessarily.) The Jewelry Quarter of Birmingham is this cute little area that was the hub of jewelry making about 100+ years ago when it became all hip and chic for everyone to have a little silver or gold or bling.
These two guys, Smith and Pepper, opened a jewelry business and factory in 1899. In 1981, they just locked the doors and left. The place is preserved to look just like when they were there. The guided tour was superb. I even read somewhere that it was ranked third best guided tour in Europe. Wowzah. I learned about jewelry making, about factory work in the early 20th century, and how people could sneakily steal gold dust by greasing their hair. Fascinating.
Cool.
The tour starts off with an interactive room with all sorts of things to look at, touch, listen to, etc. Here's Creedance listening to one of the soundbites about the factory.
What was really neat, though, was that we met a real jeweler that day who fixed Creedance's ring for her! You can't really see it in this photo, but he has a horseshoe-shaped workbench just like from the museum! This man was so interesting. We asked him how he became a jeweler and he said he dropped out of school at 15, and figured he could learn how to be a jeweler, and he's been doing it for 40+ years.
He laughed joyfully and said, "You can tell I don't enjoy it." As we walked back to a different part of his shop, I noticed an open Bible laying on top of a shedder machine. The Bible was well-thumbed through and had a sticky note marking the page. I jokingly said, "I hope you're not planning on shredding that!" He glanced back at it and said, "Oh no. That there's my constant companion."
I knew then where his joy came from, and it wasn't jewelry making. How sweet to meet a brother to top off an already wonderful experience.
1 comment:
that's just awesome.
Post a Comment