Why does the bank give me culture shock? Because the particular branch that I have to deal with doesn't do anything. They are the Bankers Who Don't Do Anything.
The main case-in-point: more days than not, they refuse to give or take cash. The first time I learned they this bank doesn't like to deal with money, they told me that they only give or take cash on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Apparently, that was for that particular week. My friends and I have since learned that there really is no way to know when they'll be dealing with money, except for the sign posted that says, "No Cash Today." CSI said she's seen that sign more than she's seen tellers. I have learned to just doing my cash dealings at an ATM of another branch.
(If you're wondering why I keep trying to deal with this particular branch, the reason is two-fold: (1) It is in a very strategic location for my job and (2) there is one worker there who knows me and shows me favor. If there's ever a place where you want to find favor, it's the bank!)
I have to confess that I simply do not understand. Perhaps I could understand a bank not giving money on a particular day. There was a run on cash and they ran out of cash-on-hand. I suppose it could happen. (Ever seen It's a Wonderful Life?) But to not take money? What sort of place, especially a bank, doesn't take money? It's beyond my comprehension, honestly. Beyond that, on the days that they don't give or take money...what do they do?
They don't do anything.
Well, with the moving drama and getting all my paperwork to match with the same address, I needed to order new checks. I did that last week: informed the bank of my change of address, and ordered new checks with said new address on them. A few days ago, I received a text from the bank that my new checkbook was in.
Yesterday, I went to the bank to pick them up. I got into the very long line behind the two tellers and patiently waited for my turn. While waiting, I watched (with all the other waiters) a whole scene go down where one of the office people of the bank was on the phone with someone who was walking her through how to open the safe...which she was doing right in front of us. Again...culture shock in the bank...conversations about the bank safe should be done behind a closed door, lady. This might be why you never have cash on hand...
When a teller was finally free in front of me, it coincided with the safe being opened. A man took a box out of the safe and carried it over to the teller that I was about to deal with. I waited (still) while he opened the box for her. She took its contents out, turned back to her desk, and saw me standing there.
"Oh, non! Non! Non!" She mumbles at me, and picks up the "closed" sign off her desk and places it directly in front of me on the counter.
The Bankers Who Don't Do Anything.
I step back into line and wait for the other teller to open up. When it is finally my turn, I tell the guy (who is new), "I received a text that my new checkbook is in." He looks it up, says that it is, has me sign a paper that I've received it, and goes to get my checkbook. When he hands it to me, I immediately notice...it has the old address on it. I already have one useless checkbook with the old address, I certainly don't need a second one!
"Excuse me, but I changed my address last week and that is why I ordered a new checkbook. I need the checks to have the correct address on them." He gives me a look that says, "You're a foreigner, and thus, you can't be right about us, the bank, being wrong," while he looks up my address in the computer. "Oh...you're right." Believe me, buddy, I may not know how to write the check, but I know the address that should be on it...
"Well, um, do you want to order a new checkbook then?" (My mind flashed back to January when the airline that cancelled my flight asked if I'd like to have my money back...)
"Yes, please. With the correct address. And I don't need this checkbook." When I handed it back to him, he stared for a moment, and then said, "But you've already signed a paper saying you received it."
The other teller informed him that he could fill out a "destroyed" paper and take the checkbook back. Oh the French and their love of paperwork. He ordered a new checkbook (hopefully with the correct address), and I walked out of the bank thinking, "That was a complete waste of my time."
The Bankers Who Don't Do ANYTHING.
1 comment:
Oh my......Oh my. Oh my.
...I have to say, I like the little video clip theme you've got running.
Post a Comment