Thursday, April 12, 2012

Culture Shock from moving in France, part 2

(This could really become a whole series...)

Culture Shock from moving in France, part 2

Below is a picture of the kitchen as it looked when I moved in, and how it looks still. It's quite normal in France for kitchens to come as a complete shell with only a sink. I was lucky to get cabinets and a counter top.
The space on the far left is where the oven is supposed to go. When the realtor first showed me the apartment, she told me that they would cut the counter top so that a stove top would fit in there. (Thus, a separate stove and oven, not one whole machine like we're used to in the states.) I asked if it was possible to cut it entirely so that I could fit a one-unit machine in, and she assured me, yes, it was possible.

The day I signed, my boss and his wife went with me to see the apartment before the signing and all three of us asked her separately if it was possible to entirely remove the counter and space to hold the oven for a one-unit machine to fit there. She assured all three of us that yes, it was possible. After the signing, I asked the new agent who was dealing with me about it, and she said to give her the dimensions of my machine, and she'd get the technician on it right away.

Two weeks later, during the walk-through, it still wasn't removed. I went down the next day and asked the agent I'd given the dimensions to about it, and she said, "Oh, you need to email your landlord and give her the dimensions." I did that.

I worked hard on my little French email. I admit that I used Google Translate, but I changed the parts that I knew didn't look right, and then apologized for my poor French in the email.

The service technician very clearly put his response into Google Translate to help me understand better, and sent this response back in English:

"Unfortunately is not possible to allow you to cut the work plan to ask a cook
we are disposal for enbedding your baking sheet and oven."

Oh, Google Translate. I wondered if my email read that poorly in French? Anyway, 'work plan' = countertop, 'cook' = one unit stove/oven, 'baking sheet' = stovetop. You get the jidgst that they said no.

So I wrote back again (still in Google Translated French) and say, "That's not what I was told before I signed a contract. I don't see why it can't be removed. There's already a seam in the counter where it can be cut along the seam, and simply lifted out."

He once again wrote back in Google Translated English, and here's the email I got today:

"Hello Madam,

The problèm is not cutting your work plan but the more expensive cost of the work to modify the élements of cooking to intégrate your stove.

More at your départure will need everything again to put the kitchent in his state of origin .

We renew you our proposal of embedding your backing sheet and connecting your électrical furnace in existing furnitures

We are so sorry"

So...I have a choice. I can buy a separated stovetop and oven (which I really don't want to do), and have them put into the normal place where a stove and oven go...
Or I use the countertop as counter space, have some drawers made at Ikea to fill the whole underneath, and put an all electric stove over on the blank wall near the window for ventilation.

I don't like either option and it's gonna take me a few days to quit feeling grumpy/pouty.
CSI suggested that I have the Body Builder just tear out the counter when he gets here...he's strong enough he could probably do it with one arm.

So, no fridge or washing machine, and now no oven. I'm getting nowhere quick with this apartment.

1 comment:

notpoems said...

...seriously, what would happen if you did get "the Body Builder" :-) to rip it out? Would they sue you??