Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Decorating for Lent

A few weeks ago, I began to wonder why I don't celebrate Easter the way I do Christmas.

During Advent (the period looking forward to the eventful moment of when God took on flesh and came to Be with us), I do all sorts of things:

  • I decorate my home.
  • I bake special treats.
  • I have several types of musical playlists that I listen to all throughout that season.
  • I read special devotionals focusing on preparing my heart.
  • I joyfully give buy, wrap, and give gifts to others.
Without Christ's Death and Resurrection, what would have been the point of His coming?  Without Easter, Christmas is void of meaning.  Perhaps I've always enjoyed the thought of life more than death?  (Who doesn't?!)  But He died to give me new life.  Easter is a celebration of life!  So I decided this year to treat Easter as I do Christmas, with much preparing, anticipation, and celebration.  (Maybe this is not a new concept, by any means, to some of you, but it is new to me.)
  • I will decorate my home for Lent.
  • I will bake special treats for Easter.
  • I will listen to a special musical playlist focused on the cross, resurrection, and victory of Easter.
  • I will read special devotionals during Lent that focus on preparing my heart for Easter.
  • I will joyfully give gifts to those in need.
So look for a few posts over the next few weeks of some Lenten reflections and actions.  This week, I wanted to share with you my decorations for Lent.  There is the Hosanna sign (and a cross with it over to the right).  On both sides of the fireplace are plates with three decorated eggs each.  In the middle, there is a framed print of one of my favorite paintings: Peter and John running for the empty tomb on Easter morning.  There is a candle holder for 7 candles, counting down the Sundays (and Good Friday) of the Lent season, (see Noel Piper's devotional HERE).  There is a bread basked to remember that Jesus is the Bread of Life, and a water pitcher to remember that He is the Living Water.  Lastly, there is the Lenten Tree, with Trail to the Tree photo ornaments (see Ann Voskamp's devotional HERE).  

Do you decorate for Lent/Easter?  If so, how so?  I'd love to hear your ideas.  

1 comment:

notpoems said...

this is amazing!! I love the decorations...especially the painting and the eggs! I've learned to appreciate Lent so much more since working at my school, because we do lots of special things with the kids leading up to and during Holy Week. Wonderful stuff.