Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Citrus Festival in Menton

Mrs. X called and invited me to go to Menton with her and Mr. X to the citrus festival.  I believe in the old saying, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade," and I do love some lemonade...so why not go see what Menton has made of their little citrus town?  It turns out that Menton is the only place in France that has the perfect soil, sunshine, and weather to grow lemons and oranges.  Every February, for the last 80 years, they've put on a festival to celebrate how life has given them lemons.  Each year there is a theme, and with this year being the 80th year of the festival, the theme of Around the World in 80 Days seemed appropriate.  
Scenes from the book were recreated in the main city park, made from...you guessed it!  Oranges and lemons.

 You haven't read the book?  That's okay.  I'll help you with the story.  We'll start by opening the book that is about an Englishman but written by a Frenchman.
One day, Phileas Fogg goes to his man's club to play cards, and agrees to a bet that he can travel around the world in 80 days.  This was before airplanes, see, so the challenge would have been hard back then. 
Fogg sets off with his assistant, a French guy with the name Passepartout (which in French means something along the lines of "Goes Everywhere."  It's a great name.  If I ever get a dog, I might call him Passepartout...unless he goes everywhere in my house.  Then I'll call him Homeless.)
The clock is running and they're off!  London, through France, and onto a boat to cross the Mediterranean.  
In Egypt, they cross the Suez Canal, sorely disappointed to not have ridden a camel made of lemons.
 Steamboats were one of their main modes of transportation.
From Egypt, they set sail for India.  
Once in India, they are thrilled to find that the elephants are made of oranges!  They pick up a female friend named Aouda, who goes with them for the rest of the journey.
 Here's the Taj Mahal.  I'm not sure that I remember them seeing it in the book, but hey!  We sure did see it in Menton.
They crossed India by train (and elephant), and headed their way over to Asian countries that once belonged to European countries and had other names and now have different names than in the book.  They went to Hong Kong.
 And to Shanghai.  Which, if I'm picturing a map in my mind, is a bit out of the way on their journey...
After some troubles, they finally catch another steamer to get across the Pacific Ocean.  Oh, Big White Boats.  So much fun.  
Once in the US, Fogg, Passepartout, and Aouda take a train across the continent and have several more adventures along the way.
They make it to New York and book passage on yet another boat to get across the Atlantic.  

As often as hot air balloons are pictured with the story of Around the World in 80 Days, Phileas Fogg didn't actually take one as a mode of travel!
He made it back to London.  Did he make it time to win his bet?  Well...you'll have to read the book to find out.  (You didn't think I was going to tell the whole story, did you?)

We may not have traveled around the world together, much less in 80 days, but I do love going around France with Mr. and Mrs. X!!!
 The Artist came too!!!  Doesn't she look like a movie star in those sunglasses?  :)
 Here's all four of us, enjoying the sunshine and company.
So when we got outside, we stumbled upon a little show...of Phileas Fogg, Passepartout, and Aouda!!! I was thrilled!!!











It was a really great day with even greater friends.  So, if you ever come visit me in February, I'll be sure to take you to Menton to see the Citrus Festival, where they don't just make lemonade out of lemons...they make a whole Lemon Party!

2 comments:

notpoems said...

aahh!! I love it!!! I love that they do it in February, when I'm sure everyone needs a little citrus and sunshine...!

Unknown said...

That is awesome - makes me want a glass of lemonade! :)