So I looked up where to get the best Greek yogurt in Athens, and the Fresko Yogurt Bar came up. We headed there first thing after checking into the Green. (And found the Crazy Cajun and the Bodybuilder had already beat us there. It was funny to walk up to friends in the middle of a city we didn't know when we hadn't planned on finding them.) The Fresko was so good that um, we went twice daily...
First you would choose which kind of Greek yogurt you wanted: Traditional, thick and creamy, or skinny. (Who wants skinny?! Not me!) I went with traditional the first few times and then switched over to thick and creamy.
Then you decide what sweet topping you want from various honeys and jellies. I went with forest fruits every single time. I tried to break away to try something new and I just couldn't. I love me some dark berries, no matter the kind, and they're just hard to come by in France. Forest fruits...every single time.
THEN you could other toppings for 20 cents a pop, which just doesn't seem like much. I always got fresh peaches. But one time (dessert), I added some chocolate shavings and cookie crumbles.
Forest fruits and peaches. Every single time.

Me and the Artist so excited about the wonderful goodness that is fresh Greek yogurt.
While in Athens, I saw everyone in the city walking around with a cold coffee drink that I thought just looked like a cheap version of a frappuccino. Little did I know. I should have clued in...if everyone had one, it might just be good. Later in the week, I finally ordered one and it changed my life.
The Espresso (or Cappuccinno) Freddo (which just means 'cold'). They sugar the espresso shot, add a touch of vanilla, freeze it just long enough to get it cold, then beat the milk until it's thick and creamy like on a cappuccino (even though it's cold), and put it in with the espresso, all over ice. It's cold and refreshing, and delicious, and creamy. Seriously. I want one right now.
Here's a handy dandy little youtube video of how to make one if you're interested. Next summer, people, I'm going to MASTER the Freddo. Just you wait.
And then, oh then, the donut holes. Every single day of our conference, there was a coffee/tea/donut hole break at 11am. This guy would fry up these little donut holes from heaven, and then there was cinnamon sugar and honey to drizzle over them. They were my favorite part of the day, every single day. I ate
I looked back at him for a minute, then down at my beloved greek donut holes, and then, right out of Aphrodite's Sassy Handbook replied, "Well it's a good thing I don't have any hips then, isn't it?" And popped one of those lovelies right into my mouth. I mean, if she can be that sassy and look that good after eating Greek donut holes, why can't I?
(I promise not to try to take after Aphrodite's ways too much. Haha. I just want that dress and that stance.)
More on Greek yumminess tomorrow when we were invited to a Greek family's house. I'll just say this: there were six lambs on a spit. SIX. Stay tuned...




1 comment:
lol! you're making my mouth water...
Post a Comment