The next morning, they rang my doorbell and explained that they hadn't been able to keep the water from reaching my apartment. I looked down, and sure enough...there was crap water seeping into my entry way. My welcome mat was ruined...but that's a small thing compared to what my neighbor was dealing with. He said his bathroom floor is black from the crap. And the syndicate was trying to find a cheaper plumber than the one who was willing to come right away.
That's my glorious Parisian life for you.
As I went down the hall, I saw other apartments flooded. I went into the elevator (which also had water) down to the ground floor...which was also flooded. There are many Jews who live in my building, and all of this was on a Saturday...Sabbath... and so they were having to work on the day they're forbidden to do so. Since the stairwell was completely flooded, I held the elevator open for a Jewish woman and her daughter. I told her I would push the button for her (that's work) and she shook her head no. She stood there, stuck... ride the elevator (forbidden) or walk through toilet crap water in the stairwell. I suppose she took the stairs.
It made me think of the Lord of the Sabbath, grace giver. He healed on the Sabbath. He gives grace in abundance. On days when we're cleaning up crap--He gives grace and is our rest. On days when we're stuck and can't figure out the right choice--He gives grace and is our rest. On days when nothing about our lives seem to reflect the glorious abundant life He promised--He gives grace and is our rest.
I'm looking forward to getting out of
No comments:
Post a Comment