Sunday, June 09, 2019

Some From Which

Right at the moment when I was weak
In need of restoration
A fire blazed
Part of me crumbled and fell to destruction

All of me could have burned
Everything could have tumbled
But You spoke and I was saved
You sang and I was graced
Knowing now what could have been--I'm humbled

Humbled to know all from which I have been saved
A glimpse at a parallel life
Filled with pain, abuse, neglect, and strife
Before I was even born, You plucked me from the flames

You chose
You loved
You lavished
You abode

A broken woman once fell at your feet
Washing them with her tears and perfume so sweet
Never a love or grace so great did she meet
Once so broken by sin now whole and complete

I often likened myself to the critic without much sin
Not like her, overwhelmed by all she'd been forgiven
My sins, like his, have been very few
From extravagant love displayed I, too, recoiled and withdrew

But then a fire blazed and roared
You allowed me to see what could have been in store
Beauty could have crashed to the floor
Instead You rescued me before I was ever born

You chose
You loved
You lavished
You abode

Now I know that I am she
Joyfully gratefully falling at Your feet
Now I know some from which I have been saved
Worshipping with tears that I was plucked from the flames

You choose
You love
You lavish
You abide

I weep
I wipe
I pour
In abiding
I am restored
In the span of one small little month--

  • a fire tore through the roof of my beloved place
  • I experienced a spiritual attack stronger than I'd seen in many years
  • a great disappointment came out of nowhere and left me bewildered at what had just happened
  • a piece of my past shockingly appeared asking to be a piece of my present
I sat on the banks of the Seine across from Notre Dame and just stared at her.  Imagined what that space would look like had she succumbed to the flames.  Overwhelmed with gratitude that only her roof fell, I began to understand that I can only grasp how great is my salvation when I know that from which I have been saved.  The month of May changed me from Simon to the remembered woman who has been forgiven and saved from so much...my own sins but also the sin of others.  Notre Dame stands as a representation of all that's going on in me right now.  I am grateful.

Notre Dame is being restored...and so am I.  

No comments: