I don't like stereotyping. In fact, with a Masters in Intercultural Studies, I ought to steer very clear of stereotyping. I appreciate the broadstroked differences we've all been created with. I don't like being put in a box, and so I try not to put anyone else in one. Don't want to cause unnecessary claustrophobia.
So my German cultural faux paux will begin with my first error--stereotyping. I'd heard Germans are, how to say it nicely? Sticklers for rules. And I broke several. Therefore I put them into that stereotyped box in my head. Forgive me.
We were checked into our quaint little Gasthaus a mere five minutes when we realized we would freeze with only the thin blanket on our beds. Granted--it was a down comforter. But there was snow on the ground outside, and there might as well have been frost on the inside of our windows, it was cold! So we crept back up to the front desk and asked if we could have more blankets. Anyone who knows me knows, if it's not 200 degress--I'm freezing!
They bring us more blankets and explain that it is already very hot in our room, we could turn the heater up more, we have down comforters, and well...Here are your extra blankets (with a German huff). We thanked them and then crawled into our very warm beds.
What a night of sleep we had! We slept so well that we overslept in the morning, and missed the breakfast the Gasthaus manager had arranged for us at 9am. I went out a bit later and asked him if there was any way to get coffee.
"No! I told you, breakfast is at 9. Where were you?"
I blanched. The American in me ruffled my feathers and wanted to respond, "What does it matter where I was? It's my right to oversleep in your hotel. I paid to oversleep. I paid for the breakfast--whether I ate it or not. I don't have to answer to you." But I did not say such things. I apologized and said we would be there for breakfast the next morning.
A few minutes later, I left the Gasthaus to go find some coffee. Schroomie #2 and I had a plan. She would stay inside, have her quiet time, and come meet me at the shop across the street in an hour. Therefore she would lock up. So I went without the key. I left the gated Gasthaus to find the coffee shop closed. Obviously Germans don't drink coffee any ole time of the day. I walked up and down the street, not wanting to go too far and have Schroomie lost looking for me.
Then it hit me. I didn't have the key to get back in. Nor a phone to call her to let me back in. I dropped my head down, my shoulders slumped, and I dragged myself back over to the gate. I buzzed the bell, and a German voice said something.
"Hi. I'm the American staying..." The gate buzzed me in. I took two steps into the driveway when the manager came out with his hands on his hips.
"I told you to take your key with you! We are not here all day to let you in and out!"
"I know. I'm sorry." I didn't bother explaining what had happened but just skirted out of his path of anger as quickly as possible. I did all that I could to avoid him for the next two days--as well as any other faux paux to tick him off.
Well...Schroomie #2 got her own chance. Right before we were leaving for the airport mid-week (we'd be returning and staying one more night there before our return to Istanbul), we asked if we should take our key with us or pick it up when we return. He didn't seem to care at all what we did, as long as we paid--before 10am on Saturday. Our plane didn't even land until after noon! We finally arranged for our colleague to pay for us, and we'd pay him back. But again, breakfast must be important to the Germans.
"What time will you be breakfasting on Sunday?" We explained that we had an early flight, and could breakfast be ready at 7am? The manager then proceeds to scrunch up his face in such a manner to inform us that, no, 7am was not an acceptable time for breakfast on a Sunday. He explained that he could put meats out the night before, but there would be no bread or coffee. Well, I'm sorry. But what good is meat and cheese with no bread to put it on? And what is breakfast without coffee? This whole silly conversation was making us late for the airport as it was. I think we said "Whatever you want to do is fine."
And we did our best to avoid the Gasthaus manager at all costs when we returned. You'd think I'd have learned to behave more culturally appropriate than that, but I guess not.