Friday, February 11, 2005

Schnitzel's and Hasselhoff

So at our very awkward (but on-time) German breakfast, we noticed some odd decorations around the small room. We shrugged our shoulders and figured there must have been a party the night before. When we returned a few days later, and saw adults and children alike dressed for Halloween, it dawned on me what weekend it was. Carnaval.

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent--when the Catholic world gives up all the good stuff (in theory) for the forty days leading up to Easter. So historically--they did all the sinful stuff they could on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, to sort of get it out of their system. Hence the wild parties of Mardi Gras and Carnaval.

After several years in Portugal, I'm used to the Carnaval partying that begins the Friday before Ash Wednesday--one day isn't enough time for so much fun, now is it? It's the equivalent to our Halloween: people dress up, lots of pranks are played, and I'm sure evil abounds that I don't see. I got belted with plenty a water balloon the year I decided to stay in Lisbon for Carnaval--a mistake I won't make again.

But because I've studied church history, I don't think of Germany as Catholic. A little ole monk named Martin Luther brought about some changes once upon a time. So I didn't expect Carnaval. And yet there it was. Women walking down the street dressed like little red devils. Children with their faces painted. Carloads of men ready for the big futebol match. And all the restaurants decorated for parties. Everything else--everything--closed.

So Schroomie and I on our last night decide we would like to eat a truly German meal. We get to directs to the boothaus (Boathouse) restaurant situated quaintly right on the Rhine. Perfect! We think. We walk forever to the boothaus, only to discover it is closed. We walk along the Rhine (Loren, I thought of you!), and then headed back to town, hoping some restaurant would be open. Alas, if it wasn't, we'd already stocked up on Gummi bears, peanut butter, and Dr. Pepper. Truly the meal of the American princesses, right? Ha.

We arrive back in town, and find a restaurant right next to our Gasthaus. We see all the decorations, and think, "They're having a private party." We stood in the doorway, trying to figure out if we were allowed in or not. A woman assured us, "No party! Come in! Come in!" We sat at our table (next to a replica of Michaelangelo's David, modestly covered in all the right places, and with streamers hanging from his shoulders), and smiled at our waiter.

Our menu was in German. About 20 different varieties of schnitzel. But what exactly is schnitzel and how are the 20 varieties of it different? We saw one that said something about spaghetti. One said Hawaiian (when all fails, go with what you know: ham and pineapple!). One said wiener schnitzel art. That sounds interesting. Finally our waiter figured out that we didn't know German, and tried his best to explain each one. He was amazed that I knew Hawaiian meant it had pineapple. We Americans...we're so crafty!

So we ordered--I can't remember what mine what called, but it was basically schnitzel cordon bleu. Now here's the thing. What do you picture when you hear schnitzel? I picture a big fat German sausage shaped like a pretzel. (Why like a pretzel? Because the last four letters are the same in both words, and that's how my brain works.) I was wrong. Were you?

A schnitzel is basically chicken fried pork. For those you not from the South, pork that is breaded and fried. Certainly not a sausage. Certainly not shaped like a pretzel.

When our salad came, I looked to schroomie and said, "How many Euros do you have?" She froze. "None. How many do you have?" I responded, "I don't have any Euros. I have the pounds, dollars, and some Turkish lira. Do you think they take visa?" We found out they did not. Looks like we were about to be washing our schnitzel plates! We prayed there would be an ATM in this nowhere town, and that it would be working this Carnaval weekend. Lucky for us, God answered our prayers.

We ate our schnitzel's in peace.

We decided to watch the telly in our room once we'd finished our meal, since we don't have one in Turkey. We found the local futebol game and watched that for a while. But the team from Mainz (where we were staying) was being WHOOPED, and that made us feel blue, so we changed the channel. We found MTV, and they were playing a show of the worst videos ever made. Seriously. The only video we could watch, because we were laughing too hard to change the channel--David Hasselhoff singing "Crazy For You." (Not the Madonna song, but his very own). I don't know if one of you computer people can find it, but it's worth searching for on the web. It's gotta be the funniest thing I've watched in months. Oh yeah. It's the only thing I've watched in months.