Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Top 10 phrases in Germany and the UK

Time to donn your English or German accents. Please note E before the word for English accent, or G for German. Have fun. We did.

10. (E) "Oh bother!" Now really, why don't we Americans say that instead of "darn" or whatever. It's too much fun.

9. (E) "Come on now! I don't have time to play!" Exclaimed by our driver when she couldn't find the entry way to into a Hilton parking lot.

8. (E) "I'll just pop over to the caf for a cup of tea." Pop seems to be their favorite verb in the UK.

7. (E) "Do the lorries drive fast on the motorways in the US?" The only reason we enjoyed this one, was that it was so early in the morning, Schroomie #2 thought the driver meant girls named Lori. She responded, "most everyone drives about the speed limit."

6. (E) "Hob." What's a hob? A stove top.

5. (G) "Schmuck." Yes, that's right, schmuck. I laughed and laughed. It means jewelry. I got even more tickled when I thought, "With this schmuck, I thee wed." Hehehehehe. Can you see what a dork I am? Schmuck.

4. (G) "Schnitzel." For previously named reasons.

3. (E) "There's Windsor castle." Okay...I forgot to say that we saw Windsor Castle from the motorway, and I didn't really have 10 words or phrases, so I figured it ought to fit in somewhere.

2. (E) "Sleeping policeman." What we rather boringly call in the US, a speedbump.

1. (G) "Ausfarht." So I think like an 8 year old boy. But this word for "exit" we saw a gazillion times on the Audubon (which, did I mention, is simply a motorway? Not like the Volkswagen commercials. False advertising). Pronounce it phonetically and see why I giggled like the big dork that I am. =) Sorry if I offended anyone.