Sunday, October 09, 2005

Antithesis of a Geek

I have a friend who wrote this week and asked my opinion about purchasing an ipod, and he busted into complete "man language." He talked about nano's, bytes, flash memory...all things that I have no idea what any of them mean. I responded that the only thing I think when I hear 'nano' is the show Mork and Mindy.

My boss is in town right now from the Netherlands, and was asking me questions about the internet here. I went on to explain why my internet bill has been lowered in price.

"I used to have the 512 um...what's the speed word for internet speed? I have 512 of that. Then they increased my speed to 1 mega speed word, but kept the price the same. I didn't need the 1 mega speed word, so I went to the internet place and asked to for the slower speed. They were surprised that I wanted to be downgraded, but they did it anyway...so I still have the 512 speed word for a less price!" (And a big proud smile spread across my face.)

Then I was talking to my dad tonight and we were laughing about how I absolutely cannot do any form of math at all. He tried explaining to me what a nano was, and what the speed word is for internet (bits and not bytes!). The next thing I know, my dad says to me, "You are the antithesis of a geek!" I guess it's true: I don't know how to do math (much less enjoy it), I don't know about gadgits (or want them), and I don't speak any form of geek language.

So in case you were curious about my geek status...according to my dad, I am the antithesis!

However.

I was explaining this week that my vacuum cleaner doesn't work, and said, "My vacuum cleaner sucks!" Then I started laughing really hard because I realized what I'd said and it really struck me as funny. And stuff like that happens alot.

So while I may not be a geek, I think I probably am a big dork.

No comments: