I've had several expat women ask me recently if I have children. I sort of grin and explain that I do not have children, and that I am not even married. Their eyes bulge out in surprise, and they (every single one) ask, "WHAT would bring you HERE if not a husband?! How do you survive here without a husband?!"
I am single, hear me roar!
I am perfectly content in my singleness, and am rather enjoying it, I should say! I was riding in a car yesterday with three married women, and started telling them about the fun places I've discovered around here, and some of the fun things to do. They were shocked to hear about all these places that they've never heard about before (for as long as they've lived here), but then sighed in remorse about "who has time to go to fun things like that?" Big grin--I DO!
I do have to mention one thing that currently makes me wish I had a husband for. (As if this is all men are good for...) For the last two days, Sparky and I have walked into the kitchen to find the floor in front of the sink (and washing machine) flooded. We looked under the sink to find it flooded as well (although there is no obvious leak to show where the water is coming from. It looks like it's coming UP from ground instead of DOWN from the sink). Because it's Ramadan, our watchman has been nowhere to be found to ask for the maintenance man to be sent up.
If I were married, THIS is something I would turn to my husband and say, "This is your problem. You deal with getting it fixed." I am of the old school, I believe. I'll happily cook, do laundry, clean, rub someone's feet, if they'll take care of the finances and the plumming. But I'm not married, so I have to deal with it on my own.
The maintenance man did come and replied that it's the washing machine's problem, which he won't fix, I need to call the washing machine people.
I'm sure I'll have a story to tell about that in a few days. :)
Hear me roar!
Thursday, October 13, 2005
Of Husbands and Plumming
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment