Flying above Middle America the other night, I saw a glimpse of God's glory. Below us were thick, black storm clouds. In them, flashes of lightening. Above us was clear night sky filled with stars. It truly felt like I was in the heavens, watching the battle of a fallen world below, while safe in my Father's glorious heavenlies above. His glory and majesty and greatness brought tears to my eyes.
My mind has been distracted by the fact that we do indeed live in a broken, fallen world. No matter how much God heals us and grants us His many blessings through our walk with Him--that walk remains in the midst of a battle. A battle in which every single soldier is wounded.
Even as I was on a personal high from my trip to California, surrounded by clarity and brilliance, (much like my plane that night), those in my life are in black clouds of gloom and despair. One friend spoke of the intense battle of sin that continues to rage in the dorm halls that used to my home. Another shared with me of the fight in her family in which she is caught up and torn as mediator. Yet another, precious sister revealed the heart-wrenching tale of a certain relationship in her life. A co-worker overseas spoke over the phone with me about her ill-functioning team. And Whitey's family is wearing black.
I struggled to find words of comfort for so many of my friends this past week, most especially to the precious sister. How does one remember that God is still good and faithful--or at least find comfort in such truths, when life seems to be such a nightmare as hers? I kept thinking of Job, who somehow praised God anyway. And in the plane above that storm--I was able to. I was reminded of so much of God's character.
The people below could only see the storm, but we could see the whole view, just as He sees the whole picture. His is the one who will lift the clouds, carry us safely through the clouds, or keep us firmly set above the storm. He put all those stars into place. He is bigger and more powerful that what I saw from the sky that night.
THAT majestic God is the one we intimately know and who loves us beyond measure. THAT is our God! He is not broken or fallen. There is no darkness in Him, unlike these clouds that fog our lives. He is trustworthy to carry us through life's most powerful storms, to bring us safely to our final destination. There may be turbulence, sickening frightening turbulence, along the journey. But He has promised to bring us safely home. And what He has promised to do, He is faithful to do. And while my life seems all clear and starry sky brilliant right now, the image He gave me that night is the only words I know to offer to my friends in the storm. He will bring us through it.
"I know that my Redeemer lives and that in the end, HE will stand upon the earth. After my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh--I will see God." Job 19
No comments:
Post a Comment