30 August, 2007
I crawled out of bed this morning a little after 6am, stumbled towards the kitchen (where we nearly always keep the window cracked open for fresh air in the apartment) to grab my mug for some coffee. I shivered a little as I walked back to my bedroom (where I keep the coffee pot). My first thought was: it's crispy this morning. My next thought was: that's something I love about Europe. A lack of central heating means when it's cold (even in August), the air is fresh and crisp and cool...and you must find alternative means for warming up. Like sleeping with a hot water bottle. Like curling up under a blanket. Like drinking hot tea all day long until you think you might float away. And I love all those things.
The lack of summer and now it seemingly going straight into autumn has brought this small inner smile to my heart this week as I realized I'm getting to have my favorite season come a bit early. Leaves are already changing and falling. I wore a long sleeve shirt and a sweater today--and froze the whole day. I've awoke to early morning fog several days recently (and supposedly will tomorrow). I do love autumn, and I love it in Europe.
The only bloggable story of the week: I met a Swiss guy this week, and he thus asked me my name. When I told him, "Soj"aley, he said, "Oh la la! Quoi?!" (Quoi means "what?") It was one of those "you have to have heard it moments" but oh my was it ever funny. I think I giggle more and more every time I hear a francophone say "oh la la." It's just too much.
1 comment:
ryc- I recommend any Dickens, on general principle :-)
I am glad that someone is happy that fall is coming. I like fall too, but I know what follows, and I DON'T like that...
Post a Comment