Thursday, October 23, 2008

in recent news...

October 23, 2008

Wowzah, I can't believe it's the end of October already!  Where did time get to?!  Yesterday I was telling someone
  • in 2 months it'll be Christmas!
  • in 4 months after that, it's time for the project again in Marseille!
  • in 4 months after that, the project will be over!
  • in 4 months after that, I'll be headed back to America!
That's crazy!  I really think the next 14 months are gonna fly, cause I know the last six sure have.  I can't believe it's already been two years since I was packing up to move to France.  What?  Sue-Wee left this week...her two years are already finished.  It seems like we just got here.  

So a slightly boring-to-read update for you...
  • I got my new computer and have pretty much transferred everything to it.  That's what I've been doing for nearly the last month.  I need to buy some cd's to move a little more music over, and then voila!  The PC will be handed over to the MMTATI's for good.  
  • Oh yeah, that reminds me...the MMTAT's had a baby, so now they are the MMTATI's.  :)  
  • Sue-Wee left and went back to America, so I am now roommate-less.  I have always enjoyed living by myself in the past, so I'm pretty cool with the no roommate thing, although I will miss Sue-Wee.
  • I've had a million guests in the last month.  Some of you readers may know my most recent guest, Melissa.  I SO WISH I had a video of her face when she figured out that I was bettercountry, of blogging fame in the NorthEast.  She just thought I was Bria and Claire's random friend that lived in Paris.  It was pretty funny.  I thoroughly enjoyed her!  You Fairwood people are highly esteemed in my mind; I've met three of you and adored the three that I've met.  It's looking like March 2010 I'll be stopping by for a visit.  Mark your calendars!
  • My Euro Disney year long pass expires today.  No more zipidee doo dah'ing for me.
  • I made another quilt...this one was for Sue Wee.  
With my 2year mark approaching and Sue-Wee leaving (and thus talking about things she was excited about going back to), my brain has been wrapping around the idea that I've been gone from the US for almost two years...and when you add in the time in the UAE, I've been gone from the world-as-I-knew-it for 3 out of the 4 last years!  Here are some thoughts...
  • I don't really miss any particular foods.  I mean, if you brought me a hot Krispy Kreme donut right now, I'd certainly eat it.  But I'm pretty good with all I can get in France, and man...the food is so good here that I don't miss much from the States.  Sorry.
  • French q-tips are lousy.  REAL Q-tips is something I will always accept in a care package from the US.
  • I have never seen a single episode of ANY of your favorite tv shows.  You name it, I haven't seen it.  In fact, I don't really watch tv at all anymore.  Just my dvd's.  I read more than anything, and I like it that way.
  • I've been gone long enough I feel free to bask in my I-really-don't-care-about-sports mentality.  Football?  I don't care.  Baseball?  I don't care.  When I was in the states I tried to pay enough attention to join in conversations.  Last fall, I still tried to stay up on what was happening so I'd feel connected to that part of America's life.  This year...I just don't care.  And it feels great.
  • I am SO GLAD that I am not there for the election.  I am joyfully avoiding all the internet hoopla about it.  I am thankful that I don't have to hear all the tv/radio/newspaper hoopla that Americans are having to hear about it.  I am voting (received my absentee ballot in the mail this week!), and feel like I've made an educated decision on who I will vote for without being persuaded by any headlines whatsoever.
  • I don't feel connected to the US anymore.  People talk about the American dream of wanting a house and I feel a little shocked that I'm supposed to want to own a house.  I don't want to own a house.  I'm quite happy with a nice little apartment.  People complain about gas prices and I smile to myself because I'm so happy and content to ride the metro everyday.  People have jobs and homes and kids and I'm glad for them.  I just know that's not MY life.  My life is overseas and I'm glad for it.
  • I do miss folks from time to time...but between how long I've been gone and the glory of webcams and the internet, I've gotten pretty used to not having my best friends and family anywhere near me.  Although...I do have days where I wish I could just pop over to Cookeville for a few hours.
That's about all for now.  A post about Dijon, France to come soon.  Stay tuned.
P.S.  I sure do like when yall leave comments.  It lets me know yall are still there with me...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, a pop-over would be nice.

H

Anonymous said...

hey. I'm here. it's so good to hear your voice - through skipe or email or blog, it's just goo to hear your voice. Happy Friday! Much Love,
M(M)H

Anonymous said...

Well, your south Georgia friends are still "with you!" I check your blog just about everyday and love looking at your pictures. We are seeing the world thru your eyes and just love it! Blessings,Shelby and Bob

brilynne said...

I can't believe I left out that little detail when I told Melissa about you! I wish you had a camera, too.

Let's hear it for a Sojourning New England Tour 2010!

And I like your quilt. i don't like quilts, per se, but I like this one. Looking at it makes me want to sew.

Sarah said...

Oooo, I like the quilt!!! And I love keeping up with your blog...isn't technology convenient?

Sarah (the former Egyptian)