Two years ago I stepped off a train from Paris into Marseille and was blown away. Literally. The Mistral were blowing that day, and I just remember marveling at the sun and the heat and the wind and hills and loving the city from the first glimpses of it on the train. I knew in those two weeks back in 2007 that I was supposed to come back last summer. 15 months ago I stepped off a train from Paris into Marseille to be greeted by a family that has become like my own. My life was forever changed in those 10 weeks last summer, and I knew then that Marseille was home. It appears to be the place that will be the home of my heart and my base to return to no matter where I am scattered for periods of time.
When I was in the UAE, the Lord drew me into the desert wanderings of the Pentateuch, and I fully related to the story. When I arrived in VA, chronologically it was time for me to read in Joshua, but the Lord told me it was not time yet. I wasn’t finished with my desert wanderings, even if I wasn’t literally in the desert anymore. Last summer, I opened up Joshua, and read about the crossing of the Jordan and the renewal of the covenant at Gilgal. Gilgal is a word that the Lord has been speaking to me since VA, and especially since last summer. Last summer, the Lord redeemed in 10 short weeks all the crud I’d gone through in the four years up to that point and brought so much healing to my heart. Gilgal is the place the people were camped out at while they waited to conquer and enter. This week, the Lord has showed me that this year has been the year of camping out at Gilgal...waiting to conquer and enter the Promised Land. And as I’ve been given this week of rest, alone in the hotel, the Lord really spoke through the story of Jericho and has told me to be quiet this week. For six days, they marched around the city, silent, not saying a word. I wonder if they even knew how the conquering would come? Anyway...this has been my week of silence. I’ve been still before the Lord and He has spoken so much to me.
One thing seems clear—the desert wanderings are over. Praise the Lord. I am excited to march on to a new journey.
So, Marseille--thank you. Thank you for being the place of my healing. Of renewal with the Lord. Of cutting so that I become stronger and more faithful. Thank you for giving me family here. Thank you for the Mistral, the Calanques, the sunshine, the big white boats, and the rolling hills. Thank you for being the gate to North Africa, welcoming in so many people that I love.
A la prochaine.
2 comments:
this is beautiful. I can't wait to hear in November more about what He has said to you!
Hmmmm. Thank you for sharing the wanderings, the waiting, and the marching with us. You were there in Paris when Dad changed my course, welcomed me to VA with a postcard, and now you've reminded me of all the thinking I need to do as I near the wrapping up of my time in the Valley. Blessings in what comes,
~Megan
Post a Comment