Monday, October 24, 2011

Bless Mail

A million months ago, I received an email from someone in the home office of my company. It informed me that someone had recommended me to be, how shall we say..."employee" of the month. The home office publishes a magazine every so often, and so they wanted to highlight me as the employee of the month on my birthday in October. Even though it was a million months away, would I be willing to write an article about what I do that would be published on my birthday? I said sure, and reminded them that, for security purposes, I would need my name changed, my location to remain undisclosed, and no photo of me or my location could be published with the article.

After I'd written the article and sent it off, I forgot all about it. After all, it was a million months ago.

Well, the week before my birthday, I received a few emails from the home office. The subject line read, "Birthday Card for JF." (JF being a name that is nothing like my name.) I was confused...even though my birthday was coming up, I am not the only person on the planet born on October 1st. In fact, I even know of a co-worker with whom I share a birthday. So why is the home office sending me JF's birthday cards. I deleted the emails and went on with life.

A week after my birthday, Lanola calls me up. "I read an article in a magazine, and well...it's not your name, but I'm pretty sure this article is about you!" Confused again, I have her read me the article. In doing so, one lightbulb goes off in my head and I remember writing that a million months ago. I laugh and thank Lanola for recognizing me even without the correct name. "By the way...who does it say the article is about?"

"JF."

Another lightbulb. I suddenly understood why I was receiving JF's mail. I am JF! I laughed and laughed that the home office had given me a pen name, sent mail to that pen name, but never told me that pen name was me!

Well, today, I opened my snail mail box, and was surprised yet again. In it was a rather large envelope filled with fan mail! Not fan mail, actually, because the people who wrote weren't praising me (thank goodness!), but simply writing to encourage me. Birthday wishes, prayers, blessings... 39 cards and letters from people I don't know! Let me tell you something--that sure did make my day!
The Real McCoys are currently visiting, and when I told them the whole story, they joined in on the joy. Mr. McCoy said, "My grandmother reads that magazine every day! Can we call her and tell her we're sitting with the famous JF from the article?" So we called grandma, and sure enough, she'd read my article and was tickled pink that her grandfamily was staying with me. I thanked her for her sweetness and how my package of cards from people like her had really touched my heart and blessed my day.

The home office wrote a few days later to say that they have another package of cards on the way! Wowzah. So...if you've ever thought of mailing a card or small thoughful care package to a person like me who does the work I do, know that it really will encourage. It really will bless. Thank you!!!

No comments: