Thursday, October 27, 2011

Camargue Cross

Just west of where I live, there is a region called the Camargue. It is known for salt, flamingoes, and beautiful white horses. It's on my wish list of places to go in France. Once, when I was near there, I saw gorgeous crosses for sale that are the symbol of the Camargue.
The Camargue Cross has an anchor, a heart, and a cross, which represent hope, faith and love. It is so unique and beautiful to me that I bought one to hang in my house.

This week, I finally got to get the Real McCoys up to Notre Dame de la Garde (something that didn't happen the last time they were here). The big church on the hill offers a great view of the city and the sea, and is one of Marseille's main tourist attractions. As many times as I've been up there, though, I'd never seen this statue of the Camargue Cross. Isn't it just lovely? Much more lovely than the actual "church" that is up there with it.

For those of you who don't remember, I am not a big fan of Notre Dame de la Garde. I'll take a cross over a big gold statue of someone who is not God any day. Especially a cross that reminds me to make the cross my anchor and to let love stem out of it.

No comments: