Saturday, April 14, 2012

Confusion with the Gas Man

So like I said in this post, I called a few weeks ago to set up my electricity and gas. The electricity went fine, and they gave me a day (next Wednesday) for the electricity man to come read my meter and make sure it's all legit and what not. I had to wait 7 days for my gas account to be processed before they could set up a day for the gas man to come. I didn't know if that was 7 business days (which would have taken longer because of Easter Monday) or just a straight 7 days.

This past Thursday (the terrible, no-good, very bad day), I arrived at the apartment to find a sticker on my door from the electricity man stating that he'd come by and I hadn't been there. Utterly confused as to why he came almost a week early and not when we'd scheduled for him to come, I called the number on the sticker.

"Yes, I just need to read your meter."
"But I thought you were coming Wednesday."
"No, not Wednesday, I came today. If you'll just read me the number on your meter, I won't need to come back."
"Which meter?"
"The gas one."
"The gas one?! But I don't have an account yet. The gas isn't even turned on."
"Well turn it on and read me the number."
"Okay...19."
"No, that can't be right. 0019?"
"No, just 19."
"No, that can't be right. There has to be more than two numbers."
"Well, there are only two numbers...1 and 9, which makes 19. I really think you may need to just come."
"Okay, I'll call you back."

I hang up confused as to what just happened. I turned the gas machine back off and when about whatever I'd come to the apartment to do. When I left, I saw stickers on nearly all the doors and realized that this man hadn't come to set up my electricity or gas, he'd just been normal meter checks. Oh, okay.

My phone rings again and this time it is the gas company and the girl I'd spoken with the week before to set up my account. Turns out it was only 7 days! She informs me that my account is now set up and the earliest the gas man can come is April 30th. I tell her that's fine, but um...I think I just talked to him and confused him. I explained what happened, and after laughing, she assures me that she'll let him know that he doesn't have to come to my apartment until the 30th.

(Although I wish he'd come earlier. The sooner I have gas, and thus hot water, the sooner I can move in!)

So this morning, I walk into the building with thecamelridingcowgirl and Classy Spice, and the gas man is once again sticking stickers on mailboxes this time announcing missed meter reads. He asks if I live in this building, and I explain that yes, I do, but I'm new and don't even have gas yet.

"Doesn't matter, I just need to read your meter."
"I know, sir, but I spoke with your company the other day and they said no to worry about you...I don't have gas yet, so there's nothing for you to read."
"I just need to read your meter."

I give thecamelridingcowgirl a look and she speaks up and says, "Sure, just come on up. 3rd floor!" She figured there was no arguing with him, and maybe once he saw the empty apartment and the non-turned-on-gas he'd start listening to me.

He never came up.

Moving in France is never a dull moment.

1 comment:

notpoems said...

LOL!! wow. I guess you either laugh or cry, huh?