I've started saying, "Marseille just gets weirder and weirder every day." About a week ago, I even suggested having t-shirts made that said, "Marseille: where Weird is the new black." Don't get me wrong: I'm totally digging the weird. It's quirky and fun. But it's definitely weird, and often with no explanation (at least from me, the clueless foreigner). Like when I spotted these wall stickers in the Panier:
Do you remember the scary blue deer that I posted a picture of back in April for CSI? Well, someone agreed with her that the antlers were scary, and so they chopped them off! Now he just looks silly.

Every year, on June 21st (the day with the most sunlight), France has a music party (fete de la musique), where there is live music all over the place. This year, in Marseille, they set up a huge concert stage down at the Vieux Port. Here's what my front yard looked like:
Here's a little more peaceful view of Marseille, from Classy Spice's kitchen window:
I have an app on my phone that tells me what time the sun will rise and set. My bedroom windows don't have shutters, and so the light coming in full blaze at pre-six am needed to be dealt with. I bought some black out curtains, and oh man. Sleep is glorious. Even better: the black out curtains are keeping my bedroom cool as well as dark. LOVE them.
It's been five years since I got new glasses. That was one of the things I just ran out of time to do in the states last winter, so I decided to venture out and get me some Frenchie glasses. After trying on eight billion pairs, this was the set I finally decided upon. I'm sort of in love with them.
More Marseille quirky: They built a museum right now on the water by the (real) port, and it's got all these concrete squigglys all over it. It made for fun photos.
As I try to do at least once every summer, I went for a hike to the Calanques. It's just lovely. I live here!
This building has been under construction forever. It's finally finished, and looks so lovely! Not sure I understand the hot pink dolphin in the fountain, but you know, whatever.
And this was another concert down in my front yard a few nights ago. This time, it was two American women singing jazz, and oh man. It was downright lovely. I opened my windows, let the cool night air in, and just enjoyed the pleasantness of it. It was a "I sure do love where I live" moment.
There were a few more photos from June, but they got their own blog posts. I hope your June was as interesting as mine!

1 comment:
wow....just wow. I didn't know the Palais Longchamps was actually under construction all that time...goodness. Pink dolphins, sticker people on walls...gotta love the French idea of art.
Post a Comment