Monday, March 17, 2014

Why Subway is the Best

You'd think I made this story up if I didn't have photographic evidence.

So one of the bummer parts of living overseas is that you don't get to eat all the yummy food that you love from America.  #firstworldproblems, I know.  {Someone please tell Chick-fil-A to go international.}  I've been gone long enough that I've pretty much learned how to make do with what I have.  (I realize the irony of the fact that I'm bemoaning the food I can't get in France, culinary capital of the world.)  And when I can't make do, I have the international mules interns bring me green chilies from the US.  (Or my sweet mother mails me a very heavy box...)

One of the things I can't buy in France (besides pretty much every single kind of cheese we have in America, yet another irony) is jalepeñoes.  And I lurve jalepeñoes.  They have a different flavor than a basic spicy pepper.  Any time I make tex-mex, I want jalepeñoes.  Any time I cook from The Pioneer Woman's cookbook, I want jalepeñoes.  Okay, I'll just admit it.  I want jalepeñoes all the time.

While I can't buy jalepeñoes in France, I do have access to them.  At Subway.  The Subway sandwich artists will load my sandwich with jalepeñoes, always wide-eyed that I would crave that much spice.  (The French can't handle spicy, unless it's in a mustard.)  I even asked once where they got their jalepeñoes, and was told that they were shipped from the US.  I then asked if I could just buy a can of them from them and was told no.

Determined to get my jalepeñoes, I came up with an idea, a brilliant idea.

Today, I walked into the Subway and told the Sandwich Artist that I wanted a very weird sandwich, to which he thought that was no big deal.  Just you wait, mister.

"I'd like a six-inch vegetarian on honey oat bread, please."

"Okay," he replied, not seeing yet how this was weird.  "Toasted?"

"Nope."

"With cheese?"

"Nope."

"Okay, what vegetables would you like?"

"Jalepeñoes.  Lots of them."

He gave me four.

"No really, lots of jalepeñoes."

He added four more and asked what other vegetables I would like.

"No other vegetables, just jalepeñoes."

"You realize they're spicy, ma'am?  Very spicy?  Usually people only want three or four."

"I know!  I love them!  And since that's all I'm having on my sandwich, can you fill it up please?"

He did.  "Sauce?"

"Nope, thanks."  (I can only imagine his face if I'd said, "Spicy chipotle sauce."  Haha!)

When he asked if it was to go or to eat in store, he added, "Please say for here so that I can see you eat this!"  I laughed, paid for my cheap little sandwich and happily went home with a half a cup of jalepeñoes, which I promptly added to my Saint Patrick's Day Green Chili Enchiladas.

Worth every penny.  Thank you, Subway.  And Happy Saint Patrick's Day from the American non-Irish Tex-Mex eating girl in France.

1 comment:

notpoems said...

that is very ironic and hilarious. I'm surprised he actually did it for you!