Tuesday, April 28, 2015

2 Weeks in Africa: Hanging with the Real McCoys

When I first decided to take this trip to Africa, I had a plan.  It was a good plan.  It was a fun plan.  I was going to fly to Tunisia, where I would spend about 2 days with the Real McCoys in Tunis.  Then, I would travel south to see the BonFils and hopefully, the Sahara Desert.  I really wanted to see more of Tunisia than just the capital, because, for as much time as I've spent in that country, I simply haven't seen much of it.  So the plan for the first week of the vacation was to be mostly outside of the capital, with the BonFils in the south.  It was a good plan.

It was foiled before I even got on a plane.  

The BonFils, never one to pay much attention to the details that organized women hand to him, decided to take his visa run the exact week I was in Tunisia.  So he was off galavanting in Spain while I was hanging out in Tunis.  We've all had a good laugh with him about that.

So upon arrival in Tunis, I had to come up with a new plan.  It turned out to be a good one and I was pleased with it.  I got to see so many friends and some of the country outside of the capital as well.  

My first few days, I stayed at home with Mrs. Real McCoy and the boys.  (Julebug was at school during the day each day.  I went to pick her up my first day there and surprised her at the school.  I also got to surprise my old language teacher, who now teaches French and Arabic to the children at the school.  I wish I had some video of my showing up at the school--so fun!)

I got so much snuggle time with this guy, who I began calling Worm.  Why Worm?  One, because when he was swaddled, he looked like a glow-worm doll from my childhood.  And two, because when he wasn't swaddled, he was a wiggle worm!  He is the most precious size right now, like a sack of flour.

How sweet is that face?!  He's begun smiling and I got so many out of him, but never got a picture of one.

I mean, seriously.  I'm smitten.

There was lots of playing with the kiddos.  We played hide and seek.  We played cards (Old Maid, Go Fish, Crazy 8's, Uno).  We played "kill the dinosaur with the magic sword."  (Bruiser made that one up and had fun with it for hours.)  We danced to worship music most mornings.  We read many books.  We colored.  We went up on the roof one afternoon and they rode their bikes with I gave the radio commentary of their race.  I took a couple of photos during the race, but forgot to take one of their bikes!


Every time I called Bruiser that name, he'd respond, "I'm not a Bruiser.  I'm a DOW!" (i.e., cow).  He warmed up to me so much better this time around than back in November, but he's definitely still Bruiser.  ALL BOY who is unaware of his strength.  He stole my heart this trip.

Joe is still my best bud.  We had so much fun!  I mean, how can you not love a kid with this much personality, this much joy?!




For a couple of evenings, we played the African version of Ticket to Ride (the train game).  It was hard and more competitive than the other versions and I might have gotten a little ugly during one game.  One of the things I love about the Real McCoys is just sitting around playing games every night.  

Mrs. Real McCoy might have fallen asleep in the middle of conversations more than one night during my two weeks.  Between having a newborn, and three other kids, and the newborn being sick with a cough, she was a bit tired.  Or a lot tired.  I folded laundry and washed dishes and held the baby and played with the kids and did what I could to help her out a bit.

So my first few days of vacation were quiet and family oriented and restful and full of my best friends.  I love the Real McCoys, and we continue to marvel how four months together five years ago has turned into such a sweet friendship that is so consistent in visits.  I already started working on convincing them to come see me in my new country two visa runs from now.  :)

I'm glad my original plan got foiled.  I didn't know how much I needed the extra time I got with the Real McCoys.  The foil ended up being fuel for my soul.

1 comment:

notpoems said...

wonderful stuff. :-) you're making me want to see all the continent versions of Ticket to Ride...