Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Wrapping Up #TeamSuitcase Trip #1

2 months: August 14 - October 13
8 planes
7 (long distance) busses
16 trains
2 weeks driving/riding in a car
4 cities with major public transport
8 countries: Germany, Hungary, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, France, Italy, San Marino (and for Maple +1, the USA)
13 different beds and showers
25 different cities (as best as I can count)
1 awesome birthday surprise
 
1 conference/training attended +
3 reports written +
1 training/debriefing taught that produced 2 more reports

Favorites?  Hmmm...
All the work, especially in Austria, and especially this sweet moment.
Probably every picture in this post was a favorite moment or experience and that's why I included the photos.  The trip was fun and hard and exhausting.  Lugging that suitcase and backpack around on all those trains and through all those airports and across cobblestone streets to check into all our different hotels was hard.  We never had the perfect bed/bathroom/kitchen living situation.  There were so many language mishaps, and laughing over #gutefarht can only ease the pain of the miscommunication so far.  Finding affordable good-for-us food to eat was a constant struggle.  My brain and heart were working through leaving France, getting to know a whole new job, all that was going with the refugees, and all that is currently going on with my organization.  It was a lot.  I came home and hid in our apartment and zoned out and slept for weeks.  I like what we do, but I think Maple and I both agreed not to do it for two solid straight months again.  That, with all those numbers listed above, was a bit much.

Maybe that's what we should call the trips.  The #bitmuch trips.  They'll make even the most sane go a little bit cooky.

No comments: