July 2, 2007
I meant to write this on Saturday, but being a little sick still and then having 10 people show up at my house for dinner prevented it. So here we go.
Two years ago, I was in the desert: literally and figuratively. A year ago, I'd left the literal desert but had gained no ground on my wanderings. I longed to settle down somewhere and perhaps start finally establishing some roots. Yet, for reasons still not fully clear to me, instead of settling, I signed up for another short-term contract of two years in Paris. And here I am.
These last six months have been very much a living day-to-day basis. I wanted to survive the adjustment/culture shock phase, get through language school, and settle into life here without any type of significant injury/drama/heartache. I didn't look ahead to what life would be like after language school, and I don't think I even reflected much on the fact that somehow I've been planted in France. And suddenly--here I am.
I feel excited for the road ahead. It feels like a beginning. I'm not fully sure what the next 18 months will look like. And I have no idea what will come after that. I'm only now beginning to think and ask God. But I'm happy. I'm excited. I feel like the girl who disappeared in the desert is emerging again.
And as for France. I do like it here. I don't think I could live in Paris forever. It's a bit too big, a bit too crowded, a bit too noisy for me. But for the time being, I'm enjoying the walks, the river, the bread, the history, the beauty, big city life. I look forward to discovering the rest of France. I look forward to wandering just a little bit longer.
But I really am beginning to feel ready to settle down somewhere and learn what it means to call a place home, a place to say, here I am and here I'll stay.
3 comments:
ryc- well, see, I don't consider my laptop to be secure at all. Also, there is much more of a chance that the harddrive would go on my lappy. I'd rather keep things online, where I can control exactly who sees stuff. :-)
Good post. Trust that God continues to lead you and that you can find a "home". Blessings...
glad you're surviving living in Paris :) there are people all over the world who'd love to live there...and you get to.
I saw the film "Ratatouille" this weekend and loved it. Was wistful at the scene with the Paris skyline and couldn't believe it was an animated film at that point.
Have a good week!
Sunny--more than surviving! I don't know that I would say I'm "thriving,"...but somewhere between the two words. Definitely content. :)
Post a Comment