Saturday, November 15, 2008

Marseille

November 15, 2008

An hour before my train for Paris would pull out of Marseille, I ducked into the flower shop across the street from my apartment and grabbed a bouquet of roses for the Chef's family.  As the florist wrapped them up for me, he asked, "Why do you look so sad?"

I was surprised.  First, because I didn't realize I looked sad.  But mainly because that is not a normal statement for a French person to make to a stranger.  Well, at least not for a Parisian to make.  It's way too personal.  I don't know if it's just Parisians who are stand-offish or all French people...but in just three short weeks, I'll get to start learning what is French and what was Parisian, as I'll be living among non-Parisians.

I told the florist that I'm sick (which is true), so I wasn't sad so much as I'm sick.  He smiled and said that I am therefore fully justified to look like I do at the moment.  (Thanks, I think?)  I told him that I was also about to catch a train back up to Paris, and I always am sad to leave Marseille, because I love it there.  We began to chat and I told him I would be moving to Marseille soon.  He complimented my French (shocking, since my French is terrible!) and welcomed me to Marseille and said, "see you soon!" as I left with my roses.

My heart was warmed as I left yesterday.  I spent a sweet two days in the south...I'd gone to my favorite hamburger restaurant, and when I walked up to the window, the workers all saw me and their faces lit up in smiles.  "Hey, bettercountry!  It's been a long time!  How long are you in town for?"  That's the kind of service that'll bring a customer back over and over (that, and the best hamburger and fries for under 4 euros a girl could ever dream of)!

I walked from my apartment all the way across town to visit with some friends.  When I walked into their restaurant and they saw me, the wife said, "I don't believe it!"  After loading me up with kisses, she and her daughter called her husband and told him to come down to see who was there.  After a nice visit over tea, I walked all the way back across town to my apartment.  

Walking...not riding the metro.  Walking in the sun.  Walking because everything is close enough that I can.

I watched the sun set from my apartment balcony as I listened to the seagulls talk to one another and the churchbells announce that the end of the day had come.  The apartment felt insanely empty...without KO or Flower there (my roommates from the summer).  But my heart was full as I left on the train last night.  When I return in three weeks, the Chef and his family will be there.  Flower will be back at the end of the year.  I can eat at the hamburger place whenever I want.  I can visit the friendly florist.  I can walk across town.  I can go to the beach.  I can soak up the sun and watch it set from my balcony.  

I don't know why...but Marseille is home to me.  And I'm ready to come home.

2 comments:

Booker said...

Home is always a good place :-)

Sarah said...

You're one of my favorite bloggers ever. I always tried to explain everyday things that I did because really, that's what living in a foreign country is about. And that's what makes it so different than living in America, the little things! And you do that and it's fantastic.

You also make me want to see Paris again! Although the way my life is going, I just never know where I'll end up!