Back in 2008, when I moved to Marseille, I discovered santons, a regional artisan craft from Provence. Santons are little clay figurines designed to look like traditional French village people (in their clothing and their trade) that surround a nativity scene. During the French Revolution, churches were closed and nativity scenes forbidden. So santons were created by the faithful to show that traditional French village life would include worship of the Christ, whether in a church or not. Therefore, there is the regular nativity scene, with Joseph, Mary, baby Jesus, the animals, the shepherds and wise men...and then there are all the French people: the baker, the vegetable man, the fishmonger, the men playing petanque (bocci ball).
I loved the idea of these santons, and decided that I wanted to collect them, and create my own French nativity scene. I knew it would be wise to wait until I moved back to France, though, so I didn't purchase one that year. This year, however, I could begin!
While in Strasbourg, at the biggest Christmas Market I went to this year, I bought my first santon. I couldn't afford to buy the whole nativity scene (that'll have to wait until next year, or maybe even 2012), so I decided to buy just one little guy. But who to buy? How to decide? After looking them all over, I finally decided on the Shepherd. Carrying the sheep on his shoulders, he reminds me of Jesus.
Then, while in Aix-en-Provence, I unexpectedly stumbled upon a live santon parade! All the people were dressed up in traditional Provence clothing. There were bakers, florists, horsemen, and even children were dressed up.
At the end of the street, they were doing traditional dancing! You can click HERE to see more photos.
Something I love about Provence is that there is still so much local culture that remains...modernity has not squelched it all yet. Lavender, Marseille soap, bouillabaisse, santons. So much to love. And love it I do.
1 comment:
Live Santons! Fabulous. :-) I'm looking forward to seeing how your collection grows!
Post a Comment