Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Swan Lake

This past summer, while I was in Paris, Hugs and I kept seeing posters advertising Swan Lake performed by the Russian Ballet. After a few times of discussing how cool it would be to go see it, we decided...why not buy tickets? November 1st is a holiday (All Saints Day), so we booked our tickets for that day. I took the early morning Marseille-Paris train up, and the early morning Paris-Marseille train back the next day.

I know I've seen the Nutcracker (although I can't remember when), but other than that, I can't recall ever going to the ballet. Now, after having been to the ballet, I wonder...why didn't I ever go before?!

I love the tu-tus. I love the music. I love the pirouettes. I love the toe-points. I love absence of words for three hours. I love hearing the sound of slippers in unison. I love that a woman can move so elegantly she looks graceful as a swan. I loved dressing up for a fun night with Hugs.
I loved that I live somewhere that I can hop on a train to spend the day in Paris. I loved the train ride back watching all the fall leaves in the French countryside being wrapped in a thin fog sheath. I loved my 24-hour getaway that included guiltless reading for hours, taking a nap, a bacon cheeseburger at the American diner, (yes, when I have one meal in Paris that is my go-to choice), seeing the ballet on All Saint's Day, and just being a girl soaking up all the girliness of the ballet. I don't want to don a tu-tu, but I may spin pirouettes in my apartment for a good long while...

1 comment:

notpoems said...

glorious. :-)