Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Traditionally on my blog, I have a Top 10 list of non-traditional things I am thankful for from the past year. Why non-traditional? Because I try my hardest to be thankful all year long for the traditional things like Jesus, grace, God's provision, family, friends, health, etc. This year, though, the list looks a little more traditional. Why?

I'm not gonna lie...this year has not been easy. And one of the things I sort of feel thankful for is that it's over. As I look back at the year, I think things like:
  • I am thankful that the Chef's wife didn't die, and that God brought her through that terrible heart ordeal.
  • I am thankful that my friends were all safe during the uprisings in Tunisia, and that even though I didn't understand why God had me leave when He did...I am glad now that He had me leave when He did. I probably would not have handled a revolution very well.
  • The Radical Experiment was hard, and part of me feels like I didn't even do it to my upmost ability, but I am thankful for how it opened my eyes...to how greedy I am and how much I do not put Jesus first in my life as a I should.
  • Language school was a dark and lonely period and I am thankful that I'm not there anymore.
  • Living with the Wise family was awesome and challenging all at the same time, and I am thankful I got to experience that...but again, thankful that I'm not there anymore.
  • There were some deep hurts this year that sent my soul down into the pit, and I'm still trying to figure out how to be thankful about that. I am thankful now, that it seems God is beginning, hopefully, to pull me out of it.
  • The summer in Paris was unexpected, continued my homelessness for even a while longer, and that was yet another challenge. But I had fun, and am thankful that my relationship with Paris was restored, renewed, redeemed. I'm glad we're back in each other's good graces.
In the midst of all those things, though, there were so many great things to be thankful for!

10. Friends. I've always hoped and even prayed to have a good close girl friend. God's given me several. Joy. The Superhero's wife. The camelridingcowgirl. The Real McCoy's.
9. Having a HOME. After 27 months of being homeless, living out of a suitcase, having my stuff strewed across several continents, I finally have a place to call my own. I finally got everything in one place and unpacked. I finally started putting down some roots.
8. Master Yoda and Princess Leah's wedding. Yippee! I have a sister-in-law! I am so thankful that I got to go home and be there for the wedding.
7. It's been several years since I put this on the list, but SKYPE. I am so thankful for the internet and being able to stay connected with my close friends and family with webcam's and phone calls. It makes me far away seem not so far away.
6. The sunshine in Marseille. The warm weather in Marseille. MARSEILLE.
5. That I have a year in a furnished apartment so that I can take my time in furnishing my own place, and even just looking for my own place. I don't make decisions quickly. And the extra year helps not have to pay for everything all at once too. So thankful for all of that.
4. All the fun things I've gotten to do this year. 8-Course Meals, Chateaux, Giverny, Bastille Day, the Tour de France, Cinema in the Park, Chick-Fil-A, Arles, Swan Lake.
3. The Fly Lady. I really am thankful for her cleaning/organizing/motivational systems and how it helps me to get my house in order. There is peace that comes with knowing that my sink is shiny and there is this little joy that comes from that peace. I am thankful for all of that.
2. My kitchen. I began dreaming of my own kitchen when I was about 22 or so. And while I've had kitchens since then, I never could afford to buy good enough stuff for the kitchen to be able to cook in it the way I dreamt of. This year, that all changed. I have a big kitchen. I can afford to buy stuff for my kitchen. I have time to cook in the kitchen. I love my kitchen.
1. Grace, mercy, God's kindness and love. It got me through this year. It gives me hope that the next year will be better.

So...Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Know that I am truly thankful for each one of you and the gift of your friendship in my life! I hope that your Turkey day is wonderful, your fellowship with friends and family blessed, and that no matter what you're eating or where you're eating it, that you are thankful for God's wonderful grace, love, mercy, and provision in your life.

No comments: