Friday, May 06, 2005

Eating Advice for Singles

I have found the resolution to the food problem of a single person's world. Let me explain the problem, then I'll tell you the resolution.

I'm 5'9'', 130 pounds, female and single (and poor). That equates to eating yogurt for breakfast, sandwhich and an orange for lunch, and a good sized meal for dinner. All my recipes for meals are made for 4-6 people. Even when I cut them in half, I'm eating off them for a week it seems. I've always got leftovers and food going bad in the fridge. What to do? Most days I just sit in deep anticipation that someone will invite me over for dinner, so that I'll have company while I eat, and no leftovers to worry about.

However, I've recently discovered a Central Asian cultural practice that solves my dilema perfectly. When visiting with a CA friend, it is culturally appropriate to take a small gift, usually of food: nuts, fruit, sweets, baklava, etc. A few weeks ago, I began baking a schlew of treats the day before the weekend, so as to be prepared for last minute invitations to friends' houses. This week, I (twice) placed the sweets on one of my own plates to carry over with me.

The cultural response? My friends' mom filled the clean plates back up with some of her leftover Asian food from dinner! Now I don't have to cook dinner tonight: I've already got one plateful of Asian food ready to be heated up!

Throw out the Ziplocks! Dump the tupperware! Rid yourself of all plastics and stock up on ceramics! Send a plate of cookies (that you're munching on the extras at home at midnight) over to your favorite CA friend, get chicken and rice in return. No more enchiladas for a week. No more vegetables going bad. No more money you don't have on groceries. Your momma taught you to share...now it's coming back to you in full.

Good thing I joined a gym, though, to work off all this rice.

No comments: